Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeping my graphics card driver up to date?

• Please log in to reply

saraface

saraface

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
so i went out and bought a GeForce GT220 for PC gaming, and when i have my driver updated with the NVIDIA 260.99 it runs everything wonderfully. the trick is, every time i restart my computer my video card driver is replaced by our older driver.

the steps i go through when updating my driver is as follows.

device mgr.
uninstall geforce220.
restart.

here's the tricky part.

when i restart windows AUTOMATICALLY reinstalls all the default drivers for my card. including the ancient driver that came with the card.

i cannot find a way to cancel or skip this step.

but after the wizard is finished doing its little thing i run the install for the modern NVIDIA driver. and i am prompted to restart.

after restarting again, the driver runs great. all games play fine.

any time after this, if i shut down or restart it seems to use the old driver as the dominant driver once the computer starts back up and i have to go through all that stuff again just to get my games to run properly.

is there any way to make this modern driver my dominant driver all the time?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Download the driver from Nvidia's website and run the Setup program. You do not need to delete the old drivers from Device Manager first.

saraface

saraface

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i didn't know that, but trying it that way didn't make a difference.
i run the setup program normally, and it works, all games run great, but after a restart my games tell me that my graphics driver is not up to date and the modern ones play with unbearable frame rate issues.
only after uninstalling my driver and reinstalling nividas most recent one will it work again, but only for that time that windows is up and running. once my computer is shut down or restarted the same issue starts all over again.

Edited by saraface, 12 November 2010 - 09:08 AM.