Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CM PSU making electrical buzzing sound

• Please log in to reply

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Just bought a brand new CM GX 750W PSU, after 2 days of use, an on and off electrical buzzing occurs, it's not constant. But after i shut down the com a less loud buzzing sound is heard from the psu I'm sure of it.It's non-stop, i have to switch off the main socket to eliminate the noise. What is happening?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would stick my ear to the back of the PSU and see (or listen) to determine if the sound is actually coming from the PSU. Sticking your head into the open side of the case may help pinpoint it too. If you can for certain isolate it to the PSU - send it back, you got a bad one. It happens even with the best of brands.

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Is the buzzing sound an indication that the PSU is about to fail? Cause i can live with it

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Who you going to live with after you burn the house down?

Highly recommend returning the flaky PSU.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Cause i can live with it

Maybe not! There are hazardous, deadly voltages inside a PSU. While the odds are in your favor the PSU will just stop working when it finally fails, and it will, it could, and they sometimes do, fail catastrophically and take out everything plugged into them, such as the motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, graphics card, etc. As SpywareDr suggests, the PSU could start fire. Remember, anything that plugs into the wall can kill.

Don't be foolish here. Even if it were old and out of warranty it would need to be replaced immediately. Yours is brand new - do not hesitate and take or send it back - NOW! And in the meantime, stop using it.