Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP3

• Please log in to reply

cdjd4447

cdjd4447

• Pip
  • 6 posts
In August of 2008, automatic updates downloaded xp3 but it never could be installed. I've looked under search for 936929, but it comes up empty. Where can I find the download and check to see if it's the current sp3?
Thanks

I meant SP3!!!

Edited by cdjd4447, 10 November 2010 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
check at windows updates

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To the best of my knowledge SP3 was not changed since being introduced by Microsoft. There are over 80 updates that were added since then and, in due course, Microsoft will group them to SP4.

There can be several causes for the problem: either the file that you downloaded is corrupt or there is something in your system that prevents SP3 installation. The first case is easy to test: download SP3 from Microsoft, as suggested by happyrock. before you install it disable your antimalware programs and run disk defragmentation. If it works, fine. If not, don't force it. Many times the installation of SP3 (like SP2 before) cause serious problems. If it doesn't work and if you don't need it for a specific reason, don't install it. Wait for a time that you format your computer and then install it on the freshly formated system.