Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mac charger won't work

• Please log in to reply

northlondoner

northlondoner

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help. My macbook is three years old and I'm onto my second magsafe charger. The first began working only intermittently and then died altogether. When I got the new one it still failed sometimes but mostly worked. Now, after just a few months, after stalling now and then (sometimes it would charger, sometimes not, sometimes it would not light up but would still charge), it has died altogether. I've tried removing the battery, cleaning the connections. When I googled, this was a common problem and one the 'geniuses' mostly failed to solve. I can't find this problem on Geeks to Go, though, for some reason. This is so frustrating, as I can't see that a replacement charger will help. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Is the new charger an official & genuine Apple one as per original equipment? If it isn't, that could explain why it's not up to the job.

northlondoner

northlondoner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks. Yes, it's a genuine mac charger, bought at the Applestore

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
As the charger is only a few months old take it back to the apple store & get it tested. If faulty get it exchanged under warranty.
If it checks out ok then you possibly have a faulty mag board.

northlondoner

northlondoner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks. Today, I'm going to try someone else's charger on my mac, and if that works OK I'm off to the Apple Store to see if they'll replace the charger for free. It is strange to have the same problem twice, though.
Last time I went there they weren't willing to test etc without a genius bar appoint and for some reason I now can't book one of these online.
But fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes

northlondoner

northlondoner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Right, this is getting weird now. My colleague's charger worked fine on my mac. I tried it several times to check that it always worked. In order to be thorough, I checked that my charger did not work while I was at the office, and it didn't. So naturally I concluded that a new charger was needed. I went to the Apple Store and they replaced my charger for free. I got it home - and it doesn't work at all. I am now mystified and frustrated. I have a genius bar appointment on Sunday but this is such a strange problem that I'm not holding out much hope.
Wish me luck - and of course any suggestions, from anyone, would be very welcome.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, thanks for posting your progress. Please keep us informed as to what happens on Sunday with the Apple Tech.

good luck :D

northlondoner

northlondoner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks!

northlondoner

northlondoner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, problem solved. It turns out that when apple changed their chargers from the T shaped ones to the L shaped ones, quite a few people experienced problems. A few weeks ago there was a software update issued to deal with this, but one of my children must have batted it down rather than installing it, so I didn't have it. The software update solved the problem. The genius at the bar was fantastic, but it seems that this was the cause of the problem I had with my previous charger, which was before the software update, so perhaps apple is at fault here, and I imagine there's been quite a bit of grief among mac users.
Many thanks for your interest, and I hope this post will help someone else who's having a problem with their charger.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, great news, glad you have resolved your issue :D

I hadn't come across this problem as I don't see many Macs. Glad you posted it.
While you were checking with the Apple store I came across this about the software update

http://topnews.co.uk...charging-issues

I hope it might help others