Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Taskbar Freezes Randomly

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello, I am running a 64-bit installation of Windows 7 now for over a year and for the last week the task bar will randomly freeze on me when the computer is just sitting there idle. I will bring it up and nothing on the task bar will work at all. It is very frustrating because it makes me have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it and hit Log Off and then log back on. I have tried to look the problem up, but to no prevail on an answer. Please, somebody help me. I really cannot have this computer doing this.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

KimE_WinTeam

KimE_WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Slayer21 -

Sounds like you may have installed or downloaded something that might be interfering with your desktop. Like a new wireless mouse?

Cheers,
Kim
Windows Outreach Team

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Have not installed a new wireless mouse or even have one on this laptop.

KimE_WinTeam

KimE_WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hmmm....are you able to use the taskbar without problems in Safe Mode?

Kim
Windows Outreach Team

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yes, ma'am

KimE_WinTeam

KimE_WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Slayer,

I'd suggest trying to troubleshoot during a clean boot. It will disable a lot of the add-ins and stuff, and can help you isolate a problematic program, or virus scan. That could be hindering your taskbar. This is a nice how-to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Let me know if that helps isolate the problem child. :D

Cheers,
Kim
Windows Outreach Team

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Okay that is working. But, I am still getting a BSOD every few days of BAD_POOL_HEADER. After the problem, I copied this from the info:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80003000000
BCP3: FFFFF88003124848
BCP4: FFFFF880031240B0
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111410-19593-01.dmp
C:\Users\Chris Reaper\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29011084-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft....88&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

KimE_WinTeam

KimE_WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Slayer,

This is the answer I'm finding. Let me know if it fixes ya up.

This happens only if the chipset drivers are not compatible with Windows 7. I would suggest you to download and install the latest Chipset drivers on the computer.

I would suggest you to update all the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

You can find the chipset information under the 'System devices' category in Device Manager. The chipset of the motherboard will likely be ALI, AMD, Intel, NVidia, VIA, or SIS. However, this information will only be seen if the chipset drivers are installed in the computer properly.

To open device manager, follow the steps mentioned below.
a. Click on Start menu and type Device manger in the start search box and press Enter.
b. Click on System Devices and check for the brand name that is mentioned above.

To install the drivers for the chipset you should visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers from there and install it on the system.

Note: If you are attempting to identify your chipset because you need to install drivers for the chipset often a motherboard and/or computer will come with a CD that has the proper chipset drivers on it. If you do not have a CD that will install these drivers you will need to continue to the next step to identify the chipset and download the chipset drivers from our motherboard page.

Source: http://social.answer...8f-5ee4ed323dd7

Let me know!
Cheers,
Kim
Windows Outreach Team