Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A mind of its own..?

• Please log in to reply

lessa

lessa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys!
Not really sure if this is the right sub-forum to post my problem, but if I'm in the wrong, just let me know and i'll move it.

Anyways, to the problem:
Last night my soon-to-be 5year old Dell XPS M1710 was logged off as usual (windows+l) and when I logged on, screen was black. I reboot and find the booting looking kinda "stripey" and almost blurry. This goes on until windows is loaded and i'm about to enter the password to log on. Then it turns black again. I can hear the system is working (logon-sound in place) and the screen reacts to changes in brightness, but still, its black.

I reboot -> safe mode -> everything is working fine (except a lot of lines across the desktop and websites "lagging").
I reboot again -> VGA mode -> working fine, but when I try to change resolution or color depth, black again.

And for information purposes, no, I haven't installed any new drivers/software recently. Nothing that should effect the graphics-card in quite some time.

And yes, I realise im not exactly a technical genius to say the least, but any clues as to what might be causing this and/or a way to fix it will be greatly appreaciated!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Drivers can become corrupt by themselves or by some other processes so i would fist reinstall the latest drivers for your Graphic.

You may also have a defective Graphic card or an overheating card.

Other possibility is that the connection between the graphic and your screen as become loose in some way. Opening and closing the laptop cover may cause in time the connections to be loose.

In VGA MODE your drivers are not loaded but only the default Windows VGA ones.

Changing resolution and color depth makes your graphic card work harder if your card works properly you do not see any difference but if it is overheating any extra work makes it work harder so overheating equals working poorly or shutting down.

Since on a laptop the graphic card is integrated you cannot do as a desktop and try another card to see if the problem persits or not, you are stuck with this card.

You can download speedfan and it will tell you if your card is overheating (if your card as a temp sensor)