Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu (or Win7) on a Mac

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I hate OS X and everything to do with the Mac system. BUT I love their styling and the physical side of the enterprise.

Therefore I've had a thought.

I love the Mac mini due to it's size and looks, but want to use Ubuntu if available, if not WIn7 would suffice.

Is it possible to completely blank a Mac mini and install a new OS from fresh with no trace of the Mac system? (Basically I don't want to be dual booting or booting another OS through a Mac add on)

Am I insane?

Advertisements

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I'm almost 100% sure that it is the same as any reformat. Your hard drive is always going to be just a hard drive with a disk image running on it, I'm not sure about the 'BIOS' on a Mac though..

Odal

Odal

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Yes. I don't think you can erase the drive currently being used so what you would do is just, for example, insert the OS install disc and use disk utility on the disc to erase the hard drive. Then just install ubuntu normally from a disc (you can burn the image beforehand with disk utility).

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
This might be useful for you:
https://help.ubuntu....ity/CategoryMac

If you want to run Windows, then Boot Camp will help you partition your drive and set up another OS.

Edited by devper94, 18 November 2010 - 03:34 AM.