Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express error - 554 error # 0x800ccc79

• Please log in to reply

Adam27

Adam27

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:

For the past 2 days I have been unable to send emails to anyone in my address book, I am still able to receive emails. I have not installed any new software/hardware.... The full error message I am recieving is below:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'Hey', Account: 'mail.stis.net', Server: 'mail.stis.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <01-186.189.popsite.net[66.217.65.186]>: Client host rejected: Access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I tried to ping both 01.186.189 and 66.217.65.186 and both came back with request time outs....

any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Take a look at this site and see if it helps. You might also want to take a look at this Microsoft Article.

Adam27

Adam27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Grayknight,
Thank you for your reply, I read both articles, and checked out the settings in outlook express, and they were set correctly....anyother suggestions are still welcome and will be appreciated....

Thanks
Adam

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Adam, try this site. Read the first section in blue there (with the two columns of information to the right). See if any of those apply to you.

Adam27

Adam27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Greyknight,

The solution was in the very last line...contact the ISP....I called them up and they said "we are experiencing technical difficulties....we should be up and running by tomorrow..... ;)

So Thank you for your help....have a beer on me.... :) ;)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Figures :tazz: We check everything, looking for a solution only to find out it's the ISP. ;)

No problem, glad it's resolved now.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I've got the same problem with Outlook Express 2003. Five days ago, I could send and receive mail without a problem, but today I can only receive, but not send emails. The error message I get is:

An unknown error has occurred. Server Response: '554 Message refused.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

I tried to read the article mentioned above, but the link is no longer valid. I've installed a few new programmes since OE last worked (small, photo manipulation programmes only), but this has never interferred with my OE before. Also, my Gmail and all other online services work perfectly - it's just sending emails with Outlook Express that isn't working.

Could anyone please help me here regarding the problem and solution?

Thanks,
Vanessa

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Who is your ISP?

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm certain it's not the ISP - everything else is working, including receiving emails from the remote host, and I can download files off the internet and from Gmail, just not Outlook Express.

Today I managed to get it to send, BUT I had to first open each mail separately, then click 'send' again, then send them one by one, which is really time consuming. It should do it automatically, because that's how I set it up and that's how it was working the last time I'd used it :-/

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
By ISP I mean Internet Service Provider, such as Comcast, Verizon, etc. It would be whoever you pay your bill to for your internet service. I'm not quite sure what is going on here now that you said you can send them one at a time. I was thinking that it was a port issue, because I know a lot of ISP's have been switching outgoing ports in an attempt to minimize spam. If we can determine your ISP we can verify you are using the correct outgoing port.

Advertisements

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, I know what ISP means... I've just discovered that it wasn't, in fact, anything to do with my connection or the programme not functioning properly - there is something about the recipient's email address that Outlook Express doesn't like, and it refuses to send it, even though it's a valid email address (Gmail). I've just given up trying to figure out why OE refuses to send an email to a legitimate email address, since it's not that important and, since it was old work, I hopefully won't ever need to email that person again. Hopefully it'll keep working with all my other email addresses.

KLT

KLT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I only use one email address but use Outlook Express and BTYahoo. The problem in my case is down to changes introduced by BTYahoo allegedly to protect us from spam. They ask you to switch on SMTP authentication but the link doesn't work. I'm not a geek just a very old person who knows very little about these things. I've tried following http:btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt but the jargon defeats me. For example what is my non-BT email server? Is that Outlook Express in my case?
Any help at a basic level appreciated.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.btyahoo.com/smtpsetup

How do I switch on SMTP authentication?

To manually switch on SMTP authentication, locate the instructions for your email program from the list below. (You need to do this for each BT Yahoo! Mail account on each computer you use.)

Microsoft Outlook Express for PC

• From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts"
  • Select the "Mail" tab
  • Double-click your BT Yahoo! account (probably labelled "mail.btinternet.com")
  • Select the "Servers" tab
  • Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication"
  • Click "OK"

That's it. (You shouldn't need to fiddle with any "non-BT email server"). Simply close and reopen Outlook Express and see if it works.

Edited by SpywareDr, 19 January 2011 - 08:47 AM.

KLT

KLT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
still can't send. ok receiving but not sending.

Edited by KLT, 19 January 2011 - 10:39 AM.

KLT

KLT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
SOLVED IT! THE DATE CALENDAR WAS WRONG. DAFT BUT THERE IT IS.DON'T LET YOUR WIFE NEAR THE COMPUTER IS THE LESSON.