Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Yahoo! Updater (is this a virus or malware?)

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I was looking through my System Configuration Utility under the "Services" tab and found "Yahoo! Updater" at the end of the list. I did a search on it and several of the results that came back indicated this might be a virus or malware/spyware. Didn't see enough information to convince me that was really the case, so wanted to post the question here to see what you all might think.

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
IMHO, anything! to! do! with! Yahoo! is! rubbish!

:D

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

IMHO, anything! to! do! with! Yahoo! is! rubbish!

:D

Thanks for the reply. Now I know your opinion of Yahoo, I just don't know if "Yahoo! Updater" on my computer is a cause for concern or not. Is this Malware/Spyware/Virus, or should I not worry?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
To make absolutely sure, please visit our "Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal" forum and follow the "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide" instructions. This will guide you through a few preparations, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log in that forum.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
It's not malware. It just keeps your Yahoo Messenger updated.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

It's not malware. It just keeps your Yahoo Messenger updated.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info. :D