Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows7 upgrade nightmare! (help please?)

• Please log in to reply

aquamom

aquamom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I know you're not supposed to switch off the system in the middle of upgrading... but tell that to my nine year old son who wants to play on the pooter.

So my operating system is toast, and won't boot. The system was fairly new so I didn't have a backup of any sort. (Bad Mommy)

When I try to run the Windows7 upgrade again it tells me the driver for my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170 is corrupt or missing. I can download an update onto a SD card, but can't run it...

Any ideas on where to go from here would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Aquamom

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If you don't need anything off of the drive, re-install Vista (factory restore?) and then attempt the re-upgrade to Windows 7.

If you do need something off of the drive, Ontrack.com. (Warning: It can get expensive).

aquamom

aquamom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can access the drive through a dos prompt and have copied the files I really want, thanks.

I tried to reinstall Vista from the ROM (alt F10(never got a disk) but that doesn't work at all.

I tried to install from a friends disk and it asked for the DVD drivers as well.

Any other ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Aqua

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Who is the manufacturer of your computer and what is the model number?

(For example: "ASUS UL30A-X5", "Dell Dimension 8400", "Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H").

aquamom

aquamom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is an ACER Aspire M-1100 (AM-1100).

Hope this helps...

Aqua

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How to use Acer eRecovery
http://support.acer....E360faq40.shtml

?

aquamom

aquamom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks SDr, but as I mentioned this fails to work. (why is anyones guess.)

Any other ideas?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Why does it fail? Is something physically wrong with the hardware?

What happens when you press [Alt-F10] (per Acer's instructions)?

Whatever drivers are needed to boot a compatible system from a Windows XP CD are included on the Windows XP CD. Is the Windows XP CD you are attempting to boot from an original or a copy? Is the CD and/or drive damaged? Have you tried booting the system from any other bootable CD/DVD?

aquamom

aquamom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I hammer on the Alt and F10 I get nothing ( Just continues booting) Up until now I have never had to try this, so I really don't know why it doesn't work. It is out of warranty so I can't even talk to Acer about it.

I am able to boot from a win 98 repair disk, which can't repair anything; the Vista Installation disk (copy) which has the unavailable options to repair or upgrade and when I select factory install it asks for the DVD drivers, same as the Windows 7 upgrade disk.(original)

This really is a nightmare... isn't it?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If it can't install an OS, it's trash. :D ;)

Try booting it up from an original Microsoft Windows 7 DVD. (Borrow one if you have to).

If it still fails, there is something wrong with the hardware ... which will need to be fixed before continuing. (Simply because no amount of fiddling around with software is going to somehow magically fix defective/flaky/broken hardware).