Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Ram won't work

• Please log in to reply

Lezard

Lezard

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone...!

Here is whats going on, hope you can help...

I have a relatively new PC that has been working great: Asus p7p55d LE motherboard, Intel core i7 860 CPU and 2gb of Patriot DDR3 1600 MHz memory.Running Windows 7 64bit

Then someone bought me 4GB Extra Ram( Corsair dominator 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 2x2GB ) yesterday.

So I tried putting in all 6GB(3 DIMMS) of ram but no success. The PC won’t boot. Nothing happens except all the fans are running and the asus “MEMOK” light keeps burning.
So I tried holding the “memok” button but that also did not work. It just went through all the tests.

So I took out the old patriot memory and placed the 2 Corsair DIMMS in the A1 and B1 slots. I started the PC and it got stuck at the windows logo while loading windows. But after a few times of resetting and swapping DIMMS I got it to fully go into windows with that same configuration. But now the problem is that when I right click on the my computer icon->Properties it only shows 2GB of memory?

Is there any way of using all 6GB of memory, or at least 4GB? Please help.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like something is not right mate. First things first, you need to run a memory diagnostic. If you receive any failures (even a single error) then the memory module needs replacing.

You could test it all at once but from the sounds of your issues test each memory stick individually for at least two passes of Memtest86+ or something similar.

Cheers

Lezard

Lezard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So u have to boot with memtest?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes that's right, you create a bootable CD (burning it as an ISO image file) and then boot the computer off that. Instead of loading Windows it should load the blue screen with all the info about the memory diagnostic. It starts running automatically and will keep going till you tell it to stop.

Better yet, run each stick overnight.