Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem updating software

• Please log in to reply

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
PC with Windows Vista

Hello all,

Because of the many, many connection problems I've been having with U998 wireless (Novotel Turbo Stick),and after speaking to my ISP, I decided to go ahead and "try" to do a software update.

While in the process of doing the update, two problems came up

a) unable to update because I kept getting a message from windows (or whatever) saying that before it could install the new software I had to close the current version, though I made sure current version WAS closed.

After four (or five) unsuccessful attempts of installing new software, I decided to just uninstall and reinstall, and then try again at updating the software. Well, it was still a no-go. Still unable to install new software from the software website or through my ISP website.

The other problem that I had (calling it problem "b"),was that when I completed the uninstall of the current software, I got a WARNING message from my Antivirus protection telling me that three (3) Rootkits had been discovered, and telling me to delete the infected files at once, which I did.

So, now that I've "recovered" from that shock, PLEASE HELP me with both problems!!

Thanks’ in advance for all your help. I don't know much about computers and your help in these matters is certainly very, very much appreciated.

Edited by ill_never_b_a_geek, 12 November 2010 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You could still have malware on your system, despite having deleted 3 rootkits as you say.
You need to post on the malware forum because we are strictly forbidden to help with malware detection & removal here.
Only the malware experts can do that, so you need to post here: http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/