Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 5410 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Joshey2009

Joshey2009

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi all!
I was just wondering if anyone could help me upgrade my existing laptop, because at the moment it has a painfully slow, mostly due to its aweful processor (Intel Celeron 723 1.2GHz) and i tend to use my laptop too play a few games. I have attempted to do some research but my laptop doesnt really seem to be mentioned very often online, so i couldnt really find what CPU is compatable etc. So if anyone knows what's compatable and what would be the most cost effective upgrade I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a laptop there is very little you can physically upgrade. The best punch for your buck is to increase your memory first.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Joshey2009

Joshey2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, i'll take your advice however i dont think the ram is the problem since i have 3GB DDR3, and an upgrade would only give me 1GB more. Is it really worth it? Also does this mean its not possible to upgrade the CPU at all? Because i think this would solve a lot of my problems.

Thanks again :D

Josh

Joshey2009

Joshey2009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry forgot to attach this

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first problem I see right away which may be the issue.
+ "uTorrent"
Possible infection can cause slowness also.
I'm going to work on the tech side but I'm just warnign you this may not be the answer in the end.
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "AppleSyncNotifier"
+ "DivXUpdate"
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "mwlDaemon"
+ "PWRISOVM.EXE"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "OpenOffice.org 3.2.lnk"
+ "msnmsgr"
+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier"
+ "uTorrent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged