Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Task of copying pictures to Cd option is gone

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
This seems like a silly problem, but I have been storing my snapshots in "My Pictures" for years, so I have copied them to cd's many times from there. There used to be a command on the left side for what you wanted to do with your pictures, like copy, move,etc...and I am sure there used to be a command to click on that said "copy to CD", but it is no longer there. Then I selected the pics I wanted, and it went to a balloon in the taskbar until I was ready to burn it.

I did install another Roxio burner to the computer, because it seemed that the driver was no longer working for the one that came bundled with the XP Media edition that I have on that computer. And if I open the Roxio burner and copy pictures to that under "make a data disk", I can get those pictures on a cd, but then when I tried to take that copied picture and copy it to my new laptop with Windows 7, I get a message that windows can't open that file.

I am totally confused as to what I can do. It sure was easier to copy pictures using windows commands rather than copy with the roxio. Or am I making a mistake by burning a "data" disk with my picture I am trying to copy?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I suggest you try CDBurnerXP: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
Making a data disc was the correct approach.

Also, you do not need to use CDs to transfer your data; why don't you try using a usb drive?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
There are quite a few free "no frills" CD burning programs.
While edge2022 likes CDBurnXP, I prefer BurnAwareFree

And, again, why not use a USB thumb drive/flash drive?

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I never thought of using a flash drive...duh for me. And I do have a working Roxio burner I purchased I can use, but I thought it was easier to do it through Xp commands. I don't suppose there is a way to get that back? I can't reinstall windows because it is bundled.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I'm not so sure what happened to the XP commands. If you have your Windows CD, you could try running sfc /scannow and see if that will fix your problem.
As per the easiness, I would prefer using a burning program rather than XP. CDBurnerXP and BurnAware are both easy to use and fast.