Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Combination of Software

• Please log in to reply

vamplicious

vamplicious

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any conflict using all these programs, not necessarily all at the same time but they all are currently installed:

- Avast Antivirus
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Super AntiSpyware
- Advanced SystemCare 3 (it's #6 on the top downloads on download.cnet.com)

- FileHippo
- Revo Uninstaller

I installed these to fix the google ad problem:
- SysRestorePoint
- GooredFix
- OTM
- Erunt
- TDSSKiller

I have 3 browsers installed as well:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer 8

But I'm most concerned about the antivirus/antispyware combination, whether if it is too little or too much. I want to have a reasonable amount of protection but not so much that when I use the internet every two seconds I'm prompted with some security warning.

I've read all the posts on this forum and I know a lot is about personal choice but I just wanted to make sure that I'm well covered.

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

But I'm most concerned about the antivirus/antispyware combination, whether if it is too little or too much

Nope they do different things.

- Advanced SystemCare 3 (it's #6 on the top downloads on download.cnet.com)

What are you using this for?
We don't recommend registry cleaners and I personally along with others here don't recommend this program.

vamplicious

vamplicious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If I wanted to use Microsoft Security Essentials, what program should I be uninstalling?
(Currently installed: avast, malwarebytes, and super antispyware)

Or is there no conflict? I already removed Advance SystemCare.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you install MSE then your avast and spyware protection isn't needed.
Not sure about the malware but for sure Avast and Superantispyware would not be needed.
I will ask one of the malware moderators to jump in also and let him give you a even better explanation.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi :D

If you install Microsoft Security Essentials then you can safely remove Avast

I would recommend keeping Malwarebytes over Superantispyware

I would concur with Ron about Advance SystemCare as they can cause more problems than it cures if used unwisely

Run OTM and hit the cleanup button and it will remove the time limited tools and itself ( i.e. TDSSKiller etc)

Keep Erunt but there is no need to have it backup each day - once a month should suffice

Browser choice is a personal thing I personally only use IE9 others swear by Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc.. so at the end of the day that is up to you

But the biggest element in remaining secure is yourself. Be aware of what you are doing online and do not just click willy nilly. Always close popups by the X and do not use cancel as the sneaky blighters switch the buttons

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?

Hope that helps - if you have any more questions just shout

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Essexboy and as always I am honored to have your input.
:D