Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MalwareBytes Issues

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I've ran Malwarebytes for a few years with no problems at all.Now it will not complete a scan and reboots my computer each time I attempt to run it.I update it each time before running it so I know it's always up to date,although I have to wonder why every update is exactly 5.70mb?

I uninstalled the program on the chance it was somehow corrupted then reinstalled it again and tried to run it and it rebooted my computer the 1st time.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had redirect issues that was solved by some great work by this team and now this. Any ideas as to why I cannot run Malwarebytes to complete a scan?

Thanks

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi 6stringer,

I don't think this is due to the MBAM Program itself. When you run scans such as this it places more demand on the processor, so I'm wondering if this is a possible overheating issue. Do you see any hint of a blue screen before it reboots?

Have you tried any other scans such as SASW or your personal AV that is installed to see if they run ok?

Let us know and we'll go from there. Other members may have some advice also.

Donna :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Here is the Speed Fan result. No other scan is shutting down my PC.

Attached Thumbnails

• SF1.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temps and voltages look well within acceptable levels.
It's not either of those for sure. :D

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Figured out that it only reboots my computer when running the full scan. The quick scan does not have an issue when running. I also don't have any issues running SASW or MS Security Essentials.I'd still like to figure this out just for peace of minds sake.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
6stringer,

Try running a full scan in safe mode.

Reboot your computer and begin taping the F8 key during reboot till you get the Advanced Options Screen. Using the arrow keys choose Safe Mode from the list provided and navigate as normal to the MBAM Program to begin the scan. Let us know if you can accomplish a full scan.

Thank you.

rshaffer61,

Thank you very much for your expert guidance. :D

Donna

Edited by DonnaB, 18 November 2010 - 07:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D My pleasure and I hope you can find the issue.
Sounds like something running in the background and conflicting with the long scan. Running in safe mode may show this.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Well of course I have no problem booting into Safe Mode,however I need the mouse to click on the "Owner" button so SM will finish loading. What is the work around for this please?
Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

however I need the mouse to click on the "Owner" button so SM will finish loading.

Don't mean to sound daft here, but what do you mean by "Owner" button? I've truly never heard of that.

If you restart your computer and continuously tap the F8 key that is on the top row of the keyboard it should boot into the Advanced Options Menu. Then you press the down arrow key to select safe mode and then press the enter key to enter safe mode.

You'll know when you are in safe mode because the screen appearance will look magnified. (as if you are looking at it through a magnifying glass)

You shouldn't need your mouse till you enter safe mode. Try that and let me know how it goes. Ok?

:D

Edited by DonnaB, 18 November 2010 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are talking about the log on window you can use the Tab key to highlight it and then click Enter.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thanks,that's what I was trying to say.Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I was in Safe Mode as the screen was magnified,I just couldn't get to the logon icon.I kept trying to hit "Enter" but it would not finish loading.I'll try again when I get home from work later today.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Thanks,that's what I was trying to say.Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Ooops! My bad! I was thinking "password" too but the "owner" term threw me off. Easy misconception. ;)

I have to work as well. If I'm not here rshaffer will be.

Thanks for being here rshaffer. :D

Boy! What a team!

;)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome DonnaB and 6stringer.
I'm happy to be of assistance. :D

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
OK.....I'm losing it here. Just booted into Safe Mode again and as per the last time I am given the following choices: "To begin,click your Username" of which my choices are "Administrator" or "Owner". The TAB key does not work and of course the mouse does not work so how can I select "Owner"?

When booting into Safe Mode I have 3 choices:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

I chose Safe Mode. Is that correct?

What am I not getting?