Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow to Boot - Background loads but taskbar and icons do not

• Please log in to reply

JerLon

JerLon

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
After going through the long process of removing a TDL4, my computer is exhibiting a weird symptom.

Whenever I reboot the machine (or turn on after turning off), it takes a while to boot (ten minutes or so). It loads my background image and I can hit ctrl-alt-dlt and see the task manager with everything running but it takes about ten minutes from that point to load my start menu and background icons.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
What's your CPU usage when you press CTRL+ALT+DEL? Look in your processes and write down any that are above 10k in memory usage and post them here.

How fast does the computer boot up in safe mode? Have you tried running a full error scan? Download and install Malwarebytes, update and run a full scan. It would also be worth running a full defrag too and cleaning up background programs depending on what you come back with from my first sentence.

You could have a corrupted program installed. Like a persons computer I fixed a few years ago. Norton was to blame. You could end task on various background programs, but only ones you are sure of. If you end one and then your desktop boots up within 20-30 seconds. You'll know what program is to blame.

Edited by MikeMason, 14 November 2010 - 02:03 PM.

JerLon

JerLon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
CPU Usage is anywhere from 30%-70% during that time. Decreases substantially once the icons and taskbar load.

I do have malware bytes and a few others, I am free of any malware or viruses.

I will run a defrag now. I should have either way, it has been a while. Not sure why I haven't already done that.

Programs above 10k include:

Avgidsagent.exe
wlkeeper.exe
s24Ecmon.exe
Avgwdsvc.ece
EvtEng.exe
Svhost.ece
explorer.exe
Avgrsx.exe
System
ituneshelper.exe
evteng.exe
motoconnect.exe
Mswinext.exe
mbamservice.exe

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
How quick does your computer boot into safe mode?

If you don't use the MSN/Live bar. You should uninstall it from control panel. Add/remove programs. That takes care of Mswinext.exe.

You should disable motoconnect.exe and ituneshelper.exe by going to run. Type in msconfig and then go to "start up" and find these files and untick them. See if that helps once you've restarted your computer.

If it's not helped. Try disabling everything associated with AVG in "msconfig", "start up" for now. If that doesn't help either. Re-enable them. Or you could uninstall AVG for now if you find that easier and re-install it later.

How much RAM and what processor are you using?

If none of this helps. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and write down every process that's running when your computer boots up. Look up each process and find out which ones you can safely eliminate from your start up.

You should run a full error scan too. Go to your hard drive, right click and then click properties. Tools tab and then click error scan. Make sure each box is ticked and then you'll have to restart your computer and wait an hour or so.

Edited by MikeMason, 14 November 2010 - 02:37 PM.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
It would also be well worth downloading and using Clean Up! found here (http://www.stevengou...id=29&Itemid=72)

and CCleaner found here (http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I hope you do not mind me coming in on this.

The error scan is of course the chkdsk but in case you are tempted to full scan as well with MBAM please see this
DO NOT run a full scan on MBAM it is never necessary, except when advised by an expert. MBAM is not the usual malware scanner it is a heuristic scanner and the quick scan covers over 99% of files. The only difference between that and the full scan is that the full scan will include the system restore points and if a tiny fragment of something is found and the action to FIX taken, it will make that restore point
useless.

Additionally do NOT use the registry cleaner aspect of CCleaner, other than that the program is OK.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=72

I cannot make any real comment on this as I have no knowledge of it, but a quick examination shows that it alters the registry UNLESS you uncheck that part of it. DO NOT allow any program to change the registry., from a cleaning aspect.

Try disabling everything associated with AVG in "msconfig", "start up" for now. If that doesn't help either. Re-enable them. Or you could uninstall AVG for now if you find that easier and re-install it later.

Be careful, if you do this and then open a browser, you COULD be left wide open to an infection

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 November 2010 - 03:44 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Further to the above, my advice is to go here, rather than trying anything else to fix this.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

JerLon

JerLon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I hope you do not mind me coming in on this.

The error scan is of course the chkdsk but in case you are tempted to full scan as well with MBAM please see this
DO NOT run a full scan on MBAM it is never necessary, except when advised by an expert. MBAM is not the usual malware scanner it is a heuteristic scanner and the quick scan covers over 99% of files. The only difference between that and the full scan is that the full scan will include the system restore points and if a tiny fragment of something is found and the action to FIX taken, it will make that restore point
useless.

Additionally do NOT use the registry cleaner aspect of CCleaner, other than that the program is OK.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=72

I cannot make any real comment on this as I have no knowledge of it, but a quick exmaination shows that alters the registry UNLESS you uncheck that part of it. DO NOT allow any program to change the registry., from a cleaning aspect.

Try disabling everything associated with AVG in "msconfig", "start up" for now. If that doesn't help either. Re-enable them. Or you could uninstall AVG for now if you find that easier and re-install it later.

Be careful, if you do this and then open a browser, you COULD be left wide open to an infection

Thanks for chiming in. I agree with what you put out there. I didn't have any intention of disabling AVG. It's worth the slow boot time to be protected.

JerLon

JerLon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Once I ran chkdsk, and it corrected some errors on the drive, I still had the same issue and in fact my computer was freezing to the extent that it would not work.

I had a feeling it was the new version of AVG so I uninstalled it in safe mode and thus far have NO problems. I am going to give Avira a go and see how it works.