Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade my nvidia gpu

• Please log in to reply

ldl22

ldl22

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i would like to upgrade my graphics card but not sure if i can. I'm running a Gforce 9400 GT on an ASUS P5N-em hdmi mobo. Power supply is 430w. system specs. below. thanks for any help .

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LARRY
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-EM HDMI ACPI BIOS Revision 0201, 3/21/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name LARRY\Larry
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.51 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.09 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :D

You motherboard has a PCI-e (or PCI-Express) expansion slot, so you're in luck, and you can use most modern video cards. However, your power supply will be limiting you to a mid-range card.

Next, you want to be sure you have a PIC-e power connector coming from your power supply. It looks like the picture below:
pci-express-power.png

If not, you'll either need to purchase an adapter, or consider a new power supply.

Another consideration is the output. Many modern cards ship with only DVI output (the white connector below). While you may require VGA output (the blue connector). If you want to connect two monitors, you'll obviously need two monitor outputs.
Gpu-connector.jpg

Now that you know which slot you have, the proper power connector, and output needed, you need to decide on a card. What is your budget? What resolution is your monitor? What kind of games do you play, or want to play?

If you just want the most "bang for the buck", and future proofing in a modern video card, your best choices are probably an AMD HD 6850, or nVidia GTX 460 (768MB) chipsets. They are under $200. The nVidia being more power hungry. Both may be a stretch for your current power supply. Cheaper and less power hungry alternatives are the GT 430, and AMD HD 5670 (under $100).

ldl22

ldl22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
can you recommend a power supply and we can go from there. i have a single slot mobo my monitor is Samsung Syncmaster digital monitor@ 1680x1050