Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I get a new graphics card or just SLI my current card?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
I got a graphics card a while back, a GTS 250 (512Mb), and I love it! Christmas is coming up and I want to upgrade my system. Everything is perfect on my system, but I would like to upgrade my graphics card. I was curious though. Which would be best for me:
To SLI my current graphics card (ASUS GTS 250) http://usa.asus.com/...UWnVZ&templete=
or buy a completely new card (A NVIDIA Fermi 450,460 or a ATI Radeon HD 5830)

My current system:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4Gb of DDR3 RAM @ 1600
Intel Core i3 @2.93 Ghz
NVIDIA GTS 250 (512Mb)
850 Watt Power Supply
ASUS P7P55 SUPERCOMPUTER

Any graphics cards you recommend? I like to:
Play games like the Sims 3, STALKER, Crysis.
I only use 1 monitor, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to use more!
I do a lot of multi-tasking, but I don't multi-task while I play games.
I want something that will last me a long time and then some.

Edited by Peptobismol165, 13 November 2010 - 10:26 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
SLI is useful if you're using 2 high-end graphic cards to achieve the best performance. However, technology advances so fast in the graphic card market, that SLI is generally not a very good upgrade path. You can usually get better performance, and use less power (and generate less heat) by getting a new single card. A GTS 250 will cost you about $100. However, a single AMD HD 6850 will outperform it by a wide margin, and be more efficient for as low as $180. Sell your used GTS 250 for $40, and you have a nice upgrade for ~$140.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Thanks a bunch! I'm in a conflict between ATI and NVIDIA. Which do you prefer or does it not really matter?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
AMD has had the advantage for well over a year. nVidia may still have a slight edge when it comes to drivers, but AMD has superior hardware.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Awesome. Thanks!

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

AMD has had the advantage for well over a year. nVidia may still have a slight edge when it comes to drivers, but AMD has superior hardware.

In that range, up until the GTX 460 came out I'd agree with you. That card is a beast and overclocks like nothing else.