Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked Keys Prevent Update To Install

• Please log in to reply

Danc20

Danc20

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello GeeksToGo.

I have a problem. I have been trying to work out fixing the .net framework with a MS professional. Unfortunately she has not replied back for 4 days although I have sent 2-3 e-mails within that time. We have gotten the .NET workable, but one update still has trouble installing.

Upon trying to manually install the update - KB982524 -, I think I may have determined the problem. The logfile says:

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ENABLE_SCRIPT_PASTE_URLACTION_IF_PROMPT. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel. ]"

Clicking on the actual key and clicking on permissions gives me some messages, all which point to the fact that this key (and others) are for some reason locked.

The keys I would like help on unlocking are below, they are from an old combofix log which also indicated they were locked:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_DISABLE_UNICODE_HANDLE_CLOSING_CALLBAC K]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"YahooMusicEngine.exe"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ENABLE_SCRIPT_PASTE_URLACTION_IF_PROMP T]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"devenv.exe"=dword:00000001
"dexplore.exe"=dword:00000001
"helppane.exe"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_IGNORE_XML_PROLOG]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"msiexec.exe"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_INTERNET_SHELL_FOLDERS]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LEGACY_DISPPARAMS]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"helppane.exe"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_SUBDOWNLOAD_LOCKDOWN]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"msimn.exe"=dword:00000001
"outlook.exe"=dword:00000001
"winmail.exe"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_USE_WINDOWEDSELECTCONTROL]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"excel.exe"=dword:00000001
"infopath.exe"=dword:00000001
"powerpnt.exe"=dword:00000001
"winword.exe"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_WEBOC_MOVESIZECHILD]
@DACL=(02 0000)
"msn.exe"=dword:00000001
"msn6.exe"=dword:00000001

I have other locked keys for some reason...I don't know why, but these keys/folders are in the area the update is having trouble.

A quick unlock of these keys will hopefully fix the problem altogether!

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, KB982524 is not a "fix" to .net framework, it's an update roll-up, which is an entirely different thing.

Anyway these .net framework updates cause more trouble than they claim to actually fix. If you must have the update, this one appears to be a pre-requisite to fix the issues that KB982524 has with installing anything:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Failing that, you can always hide the update, which will stop Windows trying to install it every five minutes. Unless you actually develop programs or run anything that requires the extra features of this update, I would actually leave it be. I don't think unlocking anything will solve the problem. You can spend a lot of time on trying to install for minimal functionality change you aren't going to notice anyway.

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi Neil, thanks for replying.

I know that this update is a roll-up and not a fix. What I was trying to say was that in the past the .NET Framework was improperly installed and was causing other programs I used to bug out. I needed it at least fixed, which is done now, however one update (although it does not fix anything) will not install. Sorry for any confusion.

When I tried your update a message said,

None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup.

Not sure why this update would not apply to me...but maybe it is my OS or something. I am running an XP.

I've heard that about .NET and indeed the .NET has caused me some trouble! However I still would like it installed, even though it is one measly update and it may not be of use to me. I'd rather just install the update than have to hide every .NET update every time it pops up.

Also I was looking at a post on GeeksToGo and a malware remover unlocked similar keys in Post #39 at this link.

Edited by Danc20, 13 November 2010 - 06:47 PM.

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well I found some way to unlock the registry keys via this website and the update still did not work.

After some thought, I think you are absolutely right, it is not worth it. Microsoft is apparently horrible at giving computers updates and having them install correctly. I will take your good advice and hide the update. Thank you!

Edited by Danc20, 14 November 2010 - 12:35 AM.

Danc20

Danc20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just as I was going to give up, in a last ditch attempt I used IE privacy keeper and then tried something - something I think that finally made it work! I had followed the link on how to give permissions to registry keys to my user account, but this time also went under the audit tab and entered my name there and granted full control. I did this through Right click>Permissions>Advanced>Audit tab>Add>Advanced>Find now>Pick your name>okay/apply all windows. Some message came up, I pressed okay, clicked the installation for KB9773534 (which is the manual installation for the KB982524) and it installed!

I also did a step before that one which was instead setting permissions for "Everyone" on full control. I am pretty confident though that the audit tab was the reason it finally worked.

Just to check I did IE Privacy Keeper again, unchecked and rechecked Automatic updates, and even went on the update website and it has reported all critical updates are installed.

I had almost completely given up, but it finally worked! This took way longer than it should have and you are right, ignoring these updates is probably best.

Thanks for all your help Neil.

Edited by Danc20, 14 November 2010 - 01:24 AM.