Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Lines during bootup

• Please log in to reply

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Ok, so if I understand correctly, the pc boots up ok without the drivers? Now what happens when you install the drivers and reboot? Edit: this is from the nvidia website http://www.nvidia.co...79.48_beta.html it has a newer release date and it could be a possible alternative if the dell site drivers don't work. The other option is to find an older driver and try installing that. It sounds like there might be a little more going on with your pc than just a video driver issue. Check the event viewer in control panel and also check device manager to see if there are any problem devices. Did you install any new software or update any other drivers? Did you have any other devices hooked to the pc? Like a external monitors of printers usb devices? You could try cleaning your system of unwanted files with something like http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner. You could check the "Dr.Watson for Windows" utility that comes with windows and check for application errors...... Go over this info and post back.

Edited by D-Berd, 16 November 2010 - 11:41 PM.

Advertisements

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Ok, so if I understand correctly, the pc boots up ok without the drivers? Now what happens when you install the drivers and reboot? Edit: this is from the nvidia website http://www.nvidia.co...79.48_beta.html it has a newer release date and it could be a possible alternative if the dell site drivers don't work. The other option is to find an older driver and try installing that. It sounds like there might be a little more going on with your pc than just a video driver issue. Check the event viewer in control panel and also check device manager to see if there are any problem devices. Did you install any new software or update any other drivers? Did you have any other devices hooked to the pc? Like a external monitors of printers usb devices? You could try cleaning your system of unwanted files with something like http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner. You could check the "Dr.Watson for Windows" utility that comes with windows and check for application errors...... Go over this info and post back.

Yes when I boot w/o any nvidia drivers, the blue lines are still there on the bootscreen, but disappear once you get past there. However, of course there are other problems since there are no nvidia drivers installed, worser rez etc.

I will try those drivers

The device manager shows that I am missing a driver for something, but it doesn't tell me what. I will upload a screenshot later. However, I never had that driver installed and it no problems have surfaced until now.

I did install mirc from ther mirc website, but I uninstalled that once the blue lines problem came up and it didn't help.

Nothing hooked up, not even a mouse. And I did clean my registry with ccleaner. I have opened up my laptop, but the blue lines disappear once past the bootup screen, so I don't think its a hardware issue, though not sure of course.

Will try what you suggested.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

The device manager shows that I am missing a driver for something, but it doesn't tell me what. I will upload a screenshot later. However, I never had that driver installed and it no problems have surfaced until now. I did install mirc from ther mirc website, but I uninstalled that once the blue lines problem came up and it didn't help.Nothing hooked up, not even a mouse. And I did clean my registry with ccleaner. I have opened up my laptop, but the blue lines disappear once past the bootup screen, so I don't think its a hardware issue, though not sure of course. Will try what you suggested.

It may help to find out what driver you're missing and make sure it gets installed. That could be part of the problem. I would think it has something to do with the tv tuner if I'm correct. I'm not sure what exactly is in your pc. You should download and update all the drivers on the pc from the site I posted earlier.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Edit: this is from the nvidia website http://www.nvidia.co...79.48_beta.html

Unless I am mistaken that is for Windows7 and Vista.
I made the same error on my first post,when his specs said Windows7 but I now know he is on XP Media Edition.

And sorry for the confusion, completely my fault, but the computer that has the problem is actually using windows xp 2005 media edition, not windows 7 home premium, that is my other computer, sorry.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 November 2010 - 05:58 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I have used the site you provided many times, but I still cannot find what driver I need.
Heres the picture of the missing driver, the other driver missing is my video driver.
Posted Image

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I thought I read windows xp on google link I posted. My mistake. Anyways, you should download and update all the hardware drivers for components in your pc.

Edited by D-Berd, 17 November 2010 - 06:34 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
so currently I'm not doing anything to fix my computer as there is nothing to do, not saying its your guys fault, just notifying you guys in case you want me to do something.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is not the BCM2045 that causes me any concern because that is a bluetooth driver.
What does concern me is the Video controller.

I would connect an external monitor and se if the problem still exists.

If the problem does NOT exist with an external monitor, then I think it is the inverter which is on its way out and is only likely to get worse. The cost of replacing these, even if you can get one is quite frightening. You would have to seek other advice as my knowledge of inverters is very limited.

FIRST AND FOREMOST - sorry typed in incorrect order
I would - go to the DELL site insert your service tag and download the CORRECT driver for your GeForce7300. YOu are a\lways best getting the DELL provided one, as the ones from the Nvidia site are not specific to the Dell setup. It will actually tell you that on the Nvidia site.

When you have done that. post back and I will send you some more detail for testing, IF it is still faulty with an external monitor.

IF ALL is correct with the external monitor, you have obviously eliminated everything, except an issue with the signal to the LCD and its allied parts in the laptop

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 November 2010 - 06:38 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Find out exactly what components you have in your pc and update the drivers. You should correct the issue with the missing driver for the unknown device. Go to the dell link I posted earlier and find all the necessary drivers and install them. when you find the one that's missing it will tell you that " new hardware has been found " and it will allow you to install the new drivers. Get that issue out of the way first and you can move on from there.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
So just download all the drivers that say necessary?

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Sorry, I'm doing too many things at one time here. like Macboatmaster suggested, use the service tag info from your pc to get a list of the drivers for your pc. Try first with the blue tooth driver and see if that corrects the BCM2045 unknown device issue.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Alright, will do. Though I must warn you, on my laptop there is a light that indicates whether bluetooth is on our not, and it currently says its on.

EDIT: didn't see your post mac, I already have retrieved that exact correct driver. It did not work, will test with alternative monitor. In the meantime though, I will try again.

Edited by mikewang, 17 November 2010 - 07:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Three points here

1. In case it is of help later, if the worst comes to the worst - here is your full service manual for that computer
http://support.dell....en/sm/index.htm

2. If that driver did not work, then either you did not download and install as per the instructions on the dell site. Dell laptops and indeed many computers are very fussy about how drivers are downloaded and installed.

3. Are we absolutely certain that you do have THAT video card. I see that options were available with that laptop.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 November 2010 - 07:05 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I'm pretty sure because when I previously installed windows xp and installed the same driver as I am installing now, when I right clicked the desktop and clicked properties, it said geforce 7300. And I do remember other instances where it said geforce 7300. Are there any other methods of determining what graphics card is in my laptop?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry to repeat what I said, but I wonder if you saw it.
GO to the Dell site and insert your service tag.