Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fuitsu Lifebook S2110 best CPU upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all: I hope you can help.

A little background: I bought my old Fujitsu S2110 some time ago and it was second hand. I thought it had an AMD64 processor but when I had a hard drive failure and had to replace it, it became clear that the 64bit operating system wouldn't install because the cpu was a 32-bit. I was led to believe I bought a AMD64bit Sempron. I have the sticker for it and in hindsight, should've run CPU-Z when I first received it.

It's a very nice laptop. I have everything installed on it, and am trying to find a way to speed it up a little. I've attached the CPU-Z specs but it's generally:

CPU: Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 2600+ Socket 754 codename Sonora core speed 795.9 MHz stock frequency 1600 MHz
Other specs: FJNB19A motherboard, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, DVD-RW
OS: original OEM installed key for 32-bit Windows XP with SP3.

What I'd like is get a little more speed out of it at cheap cost so it'll last a few more years, including a CPU upgrade if I find it's worthwhile.

Unfortunately, after much searching, I'm just not sure which CPU would be best for my little engine that could. Any help would be nice.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A Sempron 2600 was never a 64-bit processor. Later Semprons, ie those after that laptop was made, some of them are 64-bit but not all of them.

It's a five year old laptop. There will be no CPU upgrade for it. There won't be a lot you can do for it to speed it up, unfortunately.

williscm

williscm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for that. I hear that there are faster processors than what I have which are compatible as the Sonora is a basic one.

I agree with your findings about it being 32-bit. The advertisement for the machine was for a 64-bit. The original operating system was a 64-bit. I have no idea how they installed a 64-bit system with a 32-bit CPU. I simply reinstalled Windows and used the Microsoft key changer to re-validate/make genuine the OS. Good little tool that one.

I'll keep this thread open to see if a solution occurs. It's such a good laptop.

Many thanks for your response!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
It will not have been 64-bit in the first place, it simply cannot be. No 64-bit operating system will install or even run without 64-bit capable hardware, and 64-bit operating systems were pretty much unheard of five years ago. XP 64-bit was only ever intended for some Intel platforms, and there was no 64-bit available to buy OS until Vista was released in January 2007.

williscm

williscm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I hear what you are saying, but the OS the laptop had installed was XP SP3 64-bit and was advertised as such. That's why I never questioned the processor until the hard drive died and I couldn't install a 64-bit operating system. I was scratching my head. Even 64-bit Linux distros wouldn't install. I tried everything and a while later, I dug out an original XP 32-bit disk and it installed no problem, changed they key over, and at least had a working system. I then verified the specs with CPU-Z. I understand your reservations in believing what I'm telling you but it happened, I checked for a 64-bit system when I bought the computer to make sure it really was 64-bit. I agree with your comments but it happened. How, I don't know. I would only be speculating.

I did have an image but it failed to work. I might check tonight to see if I still have it!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
What is advertised and what you get are two entirely different things. I think it's been advertised in a misleading fashion, by accident or otherwise. Unfortunately with a second-hand product it's a case of buyer beware.

SP3 wasn't available for 64-bit Windows. The only SP3 Windows that's ever existed are Windows 2000 SP3, later superseded with SP4 and the Roll-Up, and XP SP3. Neither of these were 64-bit.

williscm

williscm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your time, Neil. At least it wasn't too expensive - could have been worse, and I learned a lesson to check the specs with third party software when I next buy something. The laptop itself, old yes, but still good for non intensive applications. I'll close this thread and again, thanks for looking at the issue for me.