Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Disk Fail 40

• Please log in to reply

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So randomly yesterday when I restarted my computer on boot the computer gives me this floppy fail 40 message. I found it kinda strange that the would be a floppy disk failure when my computer doesn't even have a floppy drive. I have been using the computer for 2.5 years sense i built it and never had this problem occurred
help please

Thx :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Maxim22.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

I found it kinda strange that the would be a floppy disk failure when my computer doesn't even have a floppy drive. I have been using the computer for 2.5 years sense i built it and never had this problem occurred

This is usually caused by the bios which normally will be caused by a low cmos battery.
You can enter bios and disable the floppy drive seek and also make sure no floppy is in the boot sequence while you are there.
Replacing the battery you will need to repeat the steps as the bios will go back to factory defaults when the battery is removed. Also make sure you set the correct date and time.
Save and exit after changes have been made.

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thx for the quick reply I understand you guys arent payed for this or anything and im not exspecting you to act as such. Anywayz a new issue my computer is randomly and totaly freezing hope that helps I'm looking into getting that battery replaced but have been having a hard time with the bios cause i havent back there for quite i while.

Thx for the Help :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You didn't post any system specs so I will ask. What OS are you using...XP, Vista or Win7?

Is it freezing or crashing?
Try the following and post the requested logs.
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I runing win7 btw

hope this helps im going to search for drivers

thx

˙ţ= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

D u m p F i l e : 1 1 1 8 1 0 - 2 1 2 3 1 - 0 1 . d m p

C r a s h T i m e : 1 1 / 1 8 / 2 0 1 0 7 : 5 0 : 0 0 P M

B u g C h e c k S t r i n g : S Y S T E M _ T H R E A D _ E X C E P T I O N _ N O T _ H A N D L E D

B u g C h e c k C o d e : 0 x 1 0 0 0 0 0 7 e

P a r a m e t e r 1 : 0 x c 0 0 0 0 0 0 5

P a r a m e t e r 2 : 0 x 8 2 f 2 3 9 8 5

P a r a m e t e r 3 : 0 x 8 c 3 8 f a f c

P a r a m e t e r 4 : 0 x 8 c 3 8 f 6 e 0

C a u s e d B y D r i v e r : h a l m a c p i . d l l

C a u s e d B y A d d r e s s : h a l m a c p i . d l l + 1 a a 0 0

F i l e D e s c r i p t i o n : H a r d w a r e A b s t r a c t i o n L a y e r D L L

P r o d u c t N a m e : M i c r o s o f t ® W i n d o w s ® O p e r a t i n g S y s t e m

C o m p a n y : M i c r o s o f t C o r p o r a t i o n

F i l e V e r s i o n : 6 . 1 . 7 6 0 0 . 1 6 3 8 5 ( w i n 7 _ r t m . 0 9 0 7 1 3 - 1 2 5 5 )

P r o c e s s o r : 3 2 - b i t

C o m p u t e r N a m e :

F u l l P a t h : C : \ W i n d o w s \ M i n i d u m p \ 1 1 1 8 1 0 - 2 1 2 3 1 - 0 1 . d m p

P r o c e s s o r s C o u n t : 4

M a j o r V e r s i o n : 1 5

M i n o r V e r s i o n : 7 6 0 0

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 11/18/2010 3:50:00 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xC0000005, 0x82F23985, 0x8C38FAFC, 0x8C38F6E0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111810-21231-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 18/11/2010 8:05:11 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:51:20 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:43:15 AM
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/11/2010 1:22:46 AM
Event: 63 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll" on line 3. The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

'Application' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2010 8:56:26 PM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 6000 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2010 8:56:25 PM
The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/11/2010 8:55:52 PM

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:49:46 AM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:45:07 AM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/11/2010 10:59:41 PM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:50:59 AM
Event: 10016 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1} and APPID {066FCC09-2096-4EEF-AA2F-353DB80F1BF8} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:50:28 AM
Event: 7026 Source: Service Control Manager
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Avgfwfd

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:50:21 AM
Event: 10016 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1} and APPID {066FCC09-2096-4EEF-AA2F-353DB80F1BF8} to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

'System' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:41:39 AM
Event: 134 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service
NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on ''. NtpClient will try again in 3473457 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/11/2010 3:41:38 AM
Event: 134 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Time-Service
NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on ''. NtpClient will try again in 3473457 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 17/11/2010 1:33:27 AM
Event: 1014 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Name resolution for the name audio-sjl-t1-2.pandora.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have gotten blue screen errors every time i login into my comp but will try wht u said in a few hours

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as you can get into windows you should be able to run the program. It will tell you that it will run on the next bootup. If you don't get it to work this way then try it the way below.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i had some booting issues andi had to restart my computer a ton of times and now windows is running insanly slow does this work with windows 7 cd also?
i had to use a diffrent computer to post this

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

Advertisements

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i got it running itsbeen at 21% for that past like 25 min though

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Apparently finding something wrong.
Give it a hour and see if it moves then let us know. :D

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
k well its been more than an hour and still at 21%

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it may have locked up and it may have found some serious issues it is trying to correct.
You could try to restart it and see if it will then work or try a startup repair.
You will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Win 7...guide is HERE
This will allow you to repair your Win 7 installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

Maxim22

Maxim22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
k ill give u an update asap