Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't post

• Please log in to reply

Aelborn

Aelborn

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a system that I have been running for about 5 years. It quit booting and I started checking into why. The motherboard has several bulging capacitors on it so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get another one. The original board was a PM8M-VH with a 478 socket. I ordered a P4P800-MX. I received a P4P800-MX/S. There are some differences in this motherboard and the one that I ordered. I could not find a manual on the /S board. The front panel connections are in different places and have a different configuration as to what pin is what. I managed to figure out that it was a standard config and got the connections all done and the computer will start to power up. The fans spin, I hear the hard drive spin up and some activity from the cpu and that is it. No post beeps, no video output. According to ASUS, this motherboard was manufactured by them for Gateway. Is it possible that it is in some way proprietary and won't work outside a Gateway chassis?

I have tried two different CPU's, and some different RAM sticks but all produce the same results. Any help that you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aelborn

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Aelborn, Sorry to hear you are having this issue.

The motherboard has several bulging capacitors

Have you replaced the PSU or at least had it tested, the same with the graphics card or are you using the onboard vga? Check the condition of the pc to monitor cable, look for any bent pins in the end connections and check that they are attached securely at both ends.
Do you get any POST screen at all, have you got your original XP disk or did the replacement MB come with an installation disk? Either one of these will be needed as there are no drivers on your HDD for the replacement MB.
Have you checked that all other connections are securely in place, particularly the 4 pin ATX MB supply from the PSU and the CPU fan to MB header.
You could also try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The power supply is new. I have tried both the on board VGA and a video card. The monitor is one I have used repeatedly. I am not seeing anything on the monitor, it is as if the computer wasn't even there. The connections from the power supply to the motherboard are good. I will try clearing the cmos.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If clearing the CMOS doesn`t help try booting up with no Ram added and see if you get any beeps, if you do it may suggest a gfx card or gfx card slot issue.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Cleared the CMOS, still nothing. Removed the RAM, no beeps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX and only insert 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try a new or replacement MB battery.
If after checking all the above the issue is not resolved I would suspect a bad MB, especially after trying a replacement CPU and Ram.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
still nothing from the barebones setup. I am returning this motherboard.

Thanks,

Aelborn

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries sorry we couldn`t resolve the issue for you and I hope you get it sorted.