Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Issue or Kaspersky?

• Please log in to reply

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim.....I clicked F2 to get into the BIOS and set the boot sequence. I have now found the part of the BIOS that shows the 2 hard drives.
The new drive is there & the old drive is recognised and listed as a slave.
The video talked about CMOS and I hadn't heard that term before...I am assuming that it is the BIOS.

I'm not sure what to do now???

(The USB portals seem to be recognised & enabled)

AS suggested earlier, I set up the new hard drive without the slave in place and only added this once everything was up and running on the new one.
I have just had (yet) another look at the tuition video and at the end he talks about partioning & formatting the hard drive.
Clearly, the whole point of going down the route that we have was to secure the photos / music etc on the old drive but do I have to do something else with the windows xp disk in order for the data (and the hard drive) to become visible on "My Computer" & Explorer?

Edited by thebarracksfv, 24 November 2010 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

If you are going to buy a new hard drive and leave your original alone, you would just change drive positions on the cable.
Verify the jumpers between the new drive and your original (usually defauletd to CS cable select).

Do not attache the "old" drive to the system yet. That prevents confusion as to which drive. After all we don't want you to format the wrong drive.

Did you follow the advice of 123Runner and did you format the new HDD and then install a fresh OS on it?
If we had followed the procedure step by step you may not have ended up getting confused, as each step would have been explained, this would have included attaching the second HDD "only" after you had;
1: Fitted the new HDD
2: Formatted the new HDD
3: Installed a fresh OS on the new HDD
4: Established that the system was functioning 100% stably with the new HDD fitted;
You would then;
1: Attach your previous HDD as the Slave
2: Make sure the Boot sequence is set correctly in the BIOS
3: Back up the data from the Slave Drive to the Master Drive;
Only after you had followed all the above steps successfully would anyone suggest or should you even consider formatting/partitioning the Slave Drive.
At this moment in time you have no need to concern yourself with the CMOS, google it if you would like further information on it.

but do I have to do something else with the windows xp disk in order for the data (and the hard drive) to become visible on "My Computer" & Explorer?

If you have fitted the new HDD correctly and it is recognised in the BIOS but not My Computer or Explorer there is a possibility the original HDD is/has failed, to help determine this please list in order the steps you have done.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

I believe that I followed your advice....
I checked the boot order via the bios using F2 - it was already set to the disk drive.
1: Checked the jumpers on the new hard drive and fitted it.
2: I found a guide giving specific instruction on loading windows xp. I followed this and formatted the new HDD.
3: Then I Installed XP on the new HDD
4: Everything loaded up as a new install. I set the time and location , named the PC and set up the user accounts.
Then checked that the hardware was all correctly recognised loading the drivers to ensure this was the case.
5. Made sure I had internet access and updated windows.
6. When everything seemed settled, I set about installing the slave drive.

and the rest, you know about.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Yes, you have done it as it should have been done so fair play for that :D
Have you had a look in Device Manager to see if the second HDD is listed and if it is has it got a yellow exclamation mark or any other symbol next to it which may indicate what the problem may be!
Download and run Sandra Lite from here http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html run it and let it generate a report on your computer (this takes quite a while) it will highlight any issues your computer may have and recommend how you may be able to fix them, we are primarily looking what if anything it detects regarding the Slave Drive.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

I checked the device manager and both drives are shown without the yellow exclamation mark.
Downloaded Sandralite and ran.
I have attached the report file for the slave drive....any thoughts?

ThanksAttached File  Old Hard drive report.rtf   6.19KB   88 downloads

Just had another thought....here is a screenshot. I'm not sure what it means re disk 1.
This may be irrelevant in which case I'm sorry but I just don't get where I've gone wrong here!!
Attached File  Old Hard drive report.rtf   6.19KB   88 downloads

Still tinkering....I have right clicked on Disk 1 now and "initialised the disk".
Here is the new screenshot.
I have restarted but still can't see the new drive?????
Attached File  Old Hard drive report.rtf   6.19KB   88 downloads

Edited by thebarracksfv, 26 November 2010 - 10:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Can you check in the BIOS that the "auto detect" is enabled, below is a guide that you can read through to check if we have missed something http://www.easeus.co...-hard-drive.htm

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

Everything looks OK to me in the BIOS...Auto is the live option in both drives.
The only difference between the 2 drives is that "32 BIT data transfer" is disabled on the slave. I don't know if this is because it has been identified as the slave or something that is contributing to the problem.

The other thing that I have noticed from the link that you provided is that the Disk 1 (on the screenshot in the last post) which is presumably the slave drive, is listed as unallocated.
Now this is very much an area that is new to me and I don't want to jump in until I'm sure that what ever I do wont put the data on the disk at risk.

The article does go into detail but I'm not clear if I should be following it or not.
The 2nd drive hasn't been allocated a letter so I'm guessing this is why it is not showing up in my computer and explorer?
Do I need to do this partitioning in order to get the PC to "see" the drive and will this cause a problem for the files already on there?

Thanks again for your support through this...I sense we are close to a solution....or maybe that's just wishfull thinking!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

The only difference between the 2 drives is that "32 BIT data transfer" is disabled on the slave

I do not believe this to be the issue but can you enable it? you will get better/more efficient data transfer rates when the drive is in use (2 X 16 bit).

The other thing that I have noticed from the link that you provided is that the Disk 1 (on the screenshot in the last post) which is presumably the slave drive, is listed as unallocated.

You need to assign the drive a letter, this should help http://www.brighthub...cles/40460.aspx

Do I need to do this partitioning in order to get the PC to "see" the drive and will this cause a problem for the files already on there?

No, please do nothing until the drive can be read.

Thanks again for your support through this...I sense we are close to a solution....or maybe that's just wishfull thinking!!!

No worries I am happy if I can help others especially when there is a successful outcome.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
OK, I have enabled the 32 BIT option now.

Unfortunately, the option to change the drive letter isn't available in Disk management for the slave drive.

The options that are there are "New partition", "Properties" & "Help".
This differs from the C drive which has "Open", "Explore", "Change drive letters & paths", "Properties" & "Help".

Any thoughts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Is the new Master HDD allocated the letter C?
Look in disk management to see what the status of your slave drive is (right click my computer -> manage -> left column disk management the status should be displayed in the bottom right column.If it shows this and no drive letter, then click on the white area and select assign drive letter, pick a letter not being used and it should show up.

Advertisements

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

New (Master) drive is listed as C drive.
The old (now slave) drive is listed as unallocated but clicking in the white area does not give me the option to assign a drive letter. I have attached the screenshot of what options are available
Sorry, for some reason, I cant add the image??

The options available are "New partition", "Properties" & "Help".

Edited by thebarracksfv, 28 November 2010 - 09:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Have a look at this thread and try the advice there that we havn`t already done http://www.pchelpfor...t-detected.html a bit lazy I know but we need to get you up and running a.s.a.p

EDIT: Also have a look at this free software for transferring your data; http://www.partition-tool.com/

Edited by phillpower2, 28 November 2010 - 09:53 AM.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

I have double checked the way the drives are cabled up an they seem ok (both drives on the same ribbon cable onto the board on position 1. The disk drive is on it's own on 2.
I double checked the jumpers on the slave drive. The diagram for the slave says no jumpers and I had removed the double jumper.
I mentioned before that there appears to be a single jumper covering 1 pin but seems to be part of the molding of the case and I cant remove it with tweezers so I'm assuming it s correct .

The program in the link looks as though it will do the job well....I'm just not exactly sure what the job is (if you see what I mean).

If I get where we are right now, both drives seem to be recognised within the PC but the slave is not activated because, according to Computer Mgt, it is "unallocated" and the only option that we get when we right click it is "New partition".

The application in the link is a tool to enable me to do this but I am concerned that taking this step will put at risk any data still on the slave drive.

Is it possible to partition the slave drive in such a way that the data already there will remain?

Presumably, as it stands at the moment, the slave drive is partitioned so that the operating system (XP) is on one part and all the other data in another?

The trick would appear to be to lose the operating system but keep the files??

I have managed to add the screenshot of the computer management screen which shows the options and the 2 drives...not sure if it helps

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

The trick would appear to be to lose the operating system but keep the files??

That would be ideal but if you partition any part of the HDD it will be formatted and it is too risky.
Can you try disconnecting your CD/DVD drive and connect the ribbon to your old HDD as Secondary Master
and then attempt to transfer your data to the C drive and then partition and format the old HDD and
put it back as Primary Slave, you will need to put the jumper back as Master to do this.
I know this is long winded but I cannot think of anything else to try having not had this issue before.
The software I linked to is for when the HDD is operational, incidentally if the HDD had no data on it
you wouldn`t be having this grief because once partitioned the HDD will be assigned a drive letter.

thebarracksfv

thebarracksfv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi

I will have a crack at that but It will have to be later this week.

Thanks for your guidance so far...watch this space & I'll let you know how I get on.