Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Angelboi

Angelboi

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I seem to have issues with my Win7 Pro x64.

What happened was there was a power outage in my room, which consequently caused my pc to shutdown, when the power was restored i rebooted my computer but part way through booting the power went out again. I hear power failures during boot up can cause severe issues.

My BSOD shows the stop code: 0x0000007B ( 0xFFFFF8800099928 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034 0x000000000000000 0x000000000000000 )

I have similar issues where from the bootmgr I can only see "Start windows recovery" or "Start windows normally" which would cause the BSOD and reboot again.

I have tried to use the win7 install disk to access the recovery tools, and on command line when i use the command 'bootrec /scanos'

I cannot see my windows 7 installtion, but only my "C:\Windows\Windows.old" which was created when installing windows 7

I will start from step 54 with the installation of xPUD and see if i can access my old drive to recover important files first.
But similarly I do not want to have to reformat.

Hope you guys can help!

Advertisements

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Somethings I have tried include using startup recovery to go to the command line and used:

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr
chkdsk /f /r

also, with bootrec /scanos i can only see "C:\Windows.old\Windows" But not my Windows 7 Installation.

Some updates:
I took out an old Hard drive from another computer and put it into the ailing computer, making it the master drive.
I can now get in to see my files.

Is it possible to repair the files from here?

Some more updates:
I currently have a Smaller Harddrive as my Master running WinXPPro32x, and I can still see all my files from my larger harddrive containing the Win7pro64x
Is there any possible way to repair the win7 files from within the winxp environment?

Its temporary for me to have the Smaller hard drive in use, as its kinda half sticking out of my box right now.

Win7 cannot boot in any fashion whether safe mode, last known good configuration, etc.

I would just format my win7 but i don't have my product key written down. I acquired the license online from a website last year and never thought to write it down, but I no longer have access to said website, so I can't retrieve a key. If I can avoid formatting that would be great.

Edited by Angelboi, 16 November 2010 - 10:44 AM.