Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crisis, the game

• Please log in to reply

gwtwins

gwtwins

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I recently bought a newer machine for gaming purposes. It has an Intel i7 950 quad processor, 6GB of 1066 DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GTX 460 video card, Sound Blast Extreme sound card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and many other amenities. I recently installed Crisis and have been playing it in 64 bit mode. Last night I got to the part where you sink the cruiser and then need to go through the tunnels in the tanks. When the game tried to load the next level it locked up. I got a "crisis has stopped working" error message. I said OK and told it to send the crash report. Nothing came back on the crash. Many attempts to get the game to load did not succeed in either the 64 bit mode or regular mode. I cannot even get it to start a new game. I tried running the compatibility troubleshooter and it came back saying Crisis is incompatible??? How can that be if I had been playing it? Anybody got any ideas or suggestions? THe game is awesome on high graphics but now I can't even play it :D ;)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Depending on the outcome of the driver issue we have been dealing with HERE the game should work now. Try it and let us know. :D

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
This might be a hard one to troubleshoot also. I installed Crisis and patched it to the latest version. I had been playing a game using the 64bit exe and was about 10 hours or so in. I figured 64 bit system, 64 bit game exe! Then I got to the point described above and it just locked up on me. Locked up the whole system. Had to hard reboot. I then tried the compatibility troubleshooter and it recommended I try XP SP3 mode so I did. No dice...."Crisis has stopped working". Now the 64 bit icons have even reverted back to the windows default file icon, not the Crisis icons???? They will no longer run the game.

Then while working in the other forum I uninstall my newer Nvidia drivers to see if that will fix random system freezes. Seems like maybe that did the trick as the system has booted up successfully 6 times. Before it would hang after entering a password. Now the Crisis 64bit icons are still screwy but the 32 bit ones are there. I try to run the 32 bit exe and it works..... sort of! The game will load and I can run it but it doesn't seem to remember everything. Sometimes I can't get it to trigger specific events in parts I have already played and occasionally it locks up requiring a hard reboot. I get the old "Crisis has stopped working" message. I'm thinking of trying a reinstall of the game and re-patching? It looks like I might have to play through again from the beginning to the point of the freeze if I can't get it to load properly other ways. I really hate to have to do that!

Any other ideas or tips?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about not patching it and loading the 32 bit version only?
Is the installation disk original or a downloaded copy?
If downloaded from where?

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have a retail version of the game, DVD. Do you want me to try uninstalling it and then install it again and play the game un-patched?

Edited by gwtwins, 17 November 2010 - 11:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

try uninstalling it and then install it again and play the game un-patched?

:D

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
No dice! I uninstalled the game completely including using CCleaner after I was done. Then I rebooted just to update the registry. The game is unpatched and now it won't even run. Locks up the whole computer and on subsequent restart the other issue creeps back into play. Once I type my login password the machine locks up and won't restart. I'm typing this from safe mode with networking right now. Even when the other problem was an issue the machine has always started right up in safe mode??? Now what??

Edited by gwtwins, 17 November 2010 - 06:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is just way out of hand.
We have done everything but the issue still returns.
Between this topic and the other the steps have covered everything
Memory
Hard drive
Drivers
Software

We have two options at this point.
Check for malware and do a fresh install of the OS.
Since the latter is not going to work if there is a active infection then I suggest checking out the first one.
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks for your patience with this!! I'm going to post over in the malware forum and see what they say as you suggest. The self help guide has changed quite a bit in the last week though?? It only asks to run OTL and then post a thread with the log. I'm also working an issue on another machine and the steps the guide had me take before posting were more numerous. Anyway... I'll post over there and see what they say. How do I create links to my other threads in that message?

Edited by gwtwins, 17 November 2010 - 09:19 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may or may not be part of the problem but right now I just want to make sure we haven't been spinning our wheels just in case.

Advertisements

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Makes good sense to me...I've posted over there...we'll see what happens! Thanks for your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm still doing some research while you are going through the malware steps. I'm sure I'm missing something but I just don't know what it might be. I'm going back through all the steps we have done and see if I may have missed a step somewhere. :D

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Maybe we should just start over? Put together a list of things to try and I can work my way down the list again, one by one, in order. I've done everything you suggested but may just not in the correct order?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I asked:

Is the installation disk original or a downloaded copy?

You answered :

I have a retail version of the game, DVD

Does this mean you bought the game or did you download a retail copy from a site online?
Other then the game is the rest of the system running correctly?
Have you tried to run the game in XP compatibility mode?

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
My wife bought the game for me from a big box store as a Christmas present so I have an "official" DVD. The system seems to run pretty good for the most part. It's hard to tell if it's just the game that caused the freezes or a bad video driver?? It's snappy and responsive. When I run the unpatched version of the game though it locks right up. What is the reason for not patching it? I haven't tried it in it's current configuration (unpatched) in XP mode but I did before I posted to the games forum. NADA.... wouldn't even run. I can try it again tonight when I get home if you want?

Do you think this might have something to to with all of the HD Audio drivers that are installed? I have at least 3 different devices under sounds in device manager. There's Nvidia HD Audio stuff, Creative HD Audio stuff and Then RealTek HD audio stuff? I know why the Nvidia is there and I know why the Creative is there. I do know why RealTek is there but I think those are Motherboard drivers? Do I need to have that installed with a sound card?? Also my wife's machine has exactly the same motherboard, RAM and processor combo. She does not have RealTek HD Audio drivers installed? I suspect a driver conflict of some sort between all of these HD devices or lack thereof?

I know I keep saying that but my gut keeps leading me back there because that is the only glaring difference between my wife's machine and mine. Hers runs a little hotter. We have virtually identical machines with the exception of the case, video card and sound card. I got a little higher end stuff in those areas than she did. I'm a bigger gamer and I wanted to see if there was any difference between comparable Radeon and Nvidia cards.