Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crisis, the game

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Edit: Oops, didn't see the whole second page of this topic... ;) It sounds like your system has some much more serious problems. I'd do a clean install of Windows 7 if at all possible.

I have to admit Stettybet has said what I have been thinking about all this. :D

Advertisements

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I tried the registry fix you suggested and that string was already there. I went to facebook and clicked on some embedded youtube links and they seemed to work? I have one that plays with no sound and when my wife runs it on her machine it works fine? I have an email with a .wmv file attached that I can forward you if you'd like? I can't hear that either?? Anyway... I will run the hard disk diagnostic tools as you suggest and I will also do the memtest86. Do you think it would be worth my time to run those or just do a fresh install of windows 7? The systems seems to be running OK now with the sound exception.

I also installed Crisis again and patched it to version 1.2. There was another patch out there to 1.21 but I did not install that one. It seems to be running fine but like I said it did before we started this thread. For at least 10 game hours or so anyway.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

For at least 10 game hours or so anyway.

Run the game for this time to see if it works or not. If not then I would go with Stettybet's suggestion and if there is data you need to save let us know. We can try to save the data before you format and reinstall.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm going to try completely uninstalling the Nvidia 260.99 drivers and then re-install the 260.89 drivers. For some reason I think most of my problems started once I updated to these drivers. If I experience and more system lock ups I'm just going to wipe and reinstall. I'll keep you posted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and all associated things Nvidia. I have installed all things Nvidia again except an older version. It did not go smoothly as I had to reboot 2 or 3 times before getting things back up and running. I just ran Crisis for about 3.5 hours and no crashes. I am however stuck at a point in the game where I must be stuck in some glitch because I can't trigger the next event. I know I've meet the requirements to do it to since this is not my first try over the last couple of weeks! Well I'm off to research a Crisis forum somewhere and see if this glitch is documented. If this machine freezes up on me again I'm just going to do a wipe and start over from scratch. If that doesn't work...back to the manufacturer in California! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help and patience!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like you are doing a great job of investigating everything.
Please keep us up to date as I'm really interested to know if the Crysis team has seen this before and if so what they found to be the problem.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I did manage to solve the sound problem! ;) Turns out the speakers that the Creative Audio Control Panel had chosen were for Dolby Surround 7.1. Once I told it I only had 2 plane Jane speakers and a sub woofer the sound worked fine!! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did manage to solve the sound problem! ;) Turns out the speakers that the Creative Audio Control Panel had chosen were for Dolby Surround 7.1. Once I told it I only had 2 plane Jane speakers and a sub woofer the sound worked fine!! ;)

That is great to hear. Funny how something simple can cause so much trouble.
My question is how did they change unless you reloaded the OS or something. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Well - I completely uninstalled the old Nvidia drivers and installed an older version. The system seems to be working fine now. As for the game...well... I've experienced a few hiccups but they are usually solved by shutting it down and re-starting. I'm back to where I was the first time around and I got a little further before it crashed. I'll try again and see what happens. If it continues to act up then I'll consider it the game and scour the web and the EA sites looking for a cure. For what it's worth apparently many folks are experiencing similar issues, especially the one where they can't trip the triggers for the next scene. That just tells me it's a game problem but since Crysis 2 is under development they probably are not all that worried about it. Very typical for gaming companies. Anyway...thanks for all your help and your patience!! You can shutdown that thread now and mark it as resolved it you like. Thanks again!! I learned a lot! :D

Crysis 2 is scheduled for release early 2011 so it may even be next month. Does it happen with any other game you play?
That would tell you for sure if it is the game/ ;)

Advertisements

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I haven't tried anything else on this new machine yet but over the weekend I'll try Fallout 3 and see what happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D