Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop Connection Not Working

• Please log in to reply

bondy

bondy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have two machines, a desktop and laptop, at home, both XP Pro SP 2. For some reason i can no longer connect using Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) from the laptop to the desktop. The error begins "The client could not connect to the remote computer..."

This used to work, but has since stopped, the only change being i had the laptop elsewhere, connected in to someone else's home network. The problem showed itself when i brought it back and tried to share the desktop's iTunes library on the laptop - it didn't show. It was then i discovered that RDC didn't work either. The only other change i've made is to update to iTunes 10 on both machines.

Both machines are set up to allow users to connect remotely, the Windows Firewall is off on both machines, they are both on the Workgroup 'HOME', but no domain has been specified. Both machines can successfully connect to the Internet over my BT Broadband service. (I've also checked RDC in the other direction - still no joy)

Any ideas?

Advertisements