Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I never should have upgraded to SP3

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi!
I upgraded to SP3 and IE 8 and now my system is crawling. I'm talking Minutes to do a "task" on the internet. It is so slow I just want to throw it out!
I have a AlienWare, bought new in 2004. It's a 3.6 ghz with Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB, Available Physical Memory 1.95 GB, Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB,
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB, Page File Space 6.96 GB

But, before I upgraded I did a couple of very weird problems - my Disk Management Application in Control Panel disappeared which in turn will not allow me to boot up my system
with a SATA external drive and it used to.

Not sure where I go from here.... I'll leave it in your competent hands.

Thanks, Dianne

Advertisements

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello Dianne, not quite sure what your problem is, but I doubt that SP3 is your problem. SP3 is just a huge bunch of updates, all bundled together. That will not cause your problem. I have XP Pro SP3 with IE7. I am also on a dial up connection, and never experienced any of the issues you are speaking of.

Why the Disk Management Application in Control Panel disappeared should be the question, and may be part of your problem. I am sure someone who is more familiar with yoru system will be along, but in the meantime, why not post what yoru specs are? Do you have XP? Vista? Windows 7? That does make a difference, really. What works with XP doesn't necessarily work with Vista or Windows7.

Hang in there, someone with more expertise will be along. :D

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Uninstall IE8, and see if things improve. It should revert back to IE7 (assuming thats what you had b4)