Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran Hitman Pro, Can't start windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi! I have read a couple of related threads, but I am such a beginner that I am just getting lost. I ran Hitman pro for 64 bit to remove the google redirector bug. My laptop can no longer start up. I have tried system restore, system repair to no end. I am using an Acer Aspire running windows 7. It did not come with back up disks. SOS!!!

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please create a topic in the Computer Won't Boot - Malware Related forum and wait for help.

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :D

I'm Dakeyras and I am going to try to assist you with your problem.

I ran Hitman pro for 64 bit to remove the google redirector bug.

This may have caused the current problem actually, though you machine is(may be) infected with malware the application in question uses a fair few databases from different security vendors simultaneously and it may have just removed a legitimate file by mistake thus rendering your machine unable to boot up to the operating system. These things happen and my friendly advice steer well clear of the application in future.

I have tried system restore, system repair to no end.

By this I take it you have booted your machine either with a system repair disk or via a specific partition on the hard-drive?

I am using an Acer Aspire running windows 7. It did not come with back up disks. SOS!!!

OK your machine may have a OEM(Original equipment manufacturer) version of Windows 7 installed and should have the ability to perform a factory reset which basically puts the machine back to the original state it was when purchased. Basically this is defacto a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system.

This is a option we may have to consider if it is available and take into account if the actual MBR(Master Boot Record) has become compromised, as if I provide instructions how to repair the MBR your machine will loose this recovery partition/ability to perform a factory reset.

So I will need to know which exact model of Acer Aspire you do have.

Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options:

Start-up you computer and during the POST(Power On Self Test) sequence continually depress Function Key 8(F8) to bring up the Advanced Boot Options screen.

Use the arrow keys to scroll down and select Last Know Good Configuration (advanced) and hit the Enter/Return key.

If the above was unsuccessful and your machine will still not boot-up correctly, reboot again into Advanced Boot Options:-

Use the arrow keys to scroll down and select Enable Boot Logging and hit the Enter/Return key. If we are able to boot your machine at some point I may ask to review the report created by running Enable Boot Logging.

Now please proceed to Avira AntiVir Rescue System instructions below(only if your machine is still unable to boot into the operating system).

Avira AntiVir Rescue System:

Please visit this webpage and download either the SFX or ISO file. If unsure which file to download/use opt for the SFX version as the setup is a tad more user friendly.

The below pertains to using the SFX file.

• If using a XP machine to create the rescue disk, double-click on rescue_system-common-en.exe, if either Vista or Windows 7 right-click on the executable on and select Run as Administrator.
Posted Image

• Click on Burn CD and then the status of the aforementioned window will change too:-
Posted Image

• Be patient as the creation of the Rescue Disk may take some time depending on the speed of the drive being used to burn/create it.
Posted Image

• When completed/created you will see the below:-
Posted Image

Note: After the rescue disk has been created place it in the CD drive of your infected machine and see if will boot-up correctly.

(Start-up you computer and during the POST(Power On Self Test) sequence continually depress Function Key 12(F8) to bring up the Boot Options screen >> select the CD/DVD Drive etc.

If this feature is not available you may have too: Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM)

If it does post back please and we can proceed from there. Do not do anything else for the time being, thank you.

Next:

Let myself know the outcome of the above and the answers to my questions in your next reply, thank you.

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my acer is aspire model 5741z-5433

I burned a recovery cd from neosmart. I can access the recovery menu, but no options have produced a result. I am going to attempt your first instruction now.

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Boot manager options have not helped. Current boot manager screen says "Windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause." Additional info: file: \windows\system32\config\system status: 0xc0000225 info: windows failed to load because the system regist. file is missing or corrupt. I will wait for your response. Thank you so very much.

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have downloaded the avira rescue cd to my xp machine. The burn option said my sony dvd rw drive was incompatible (?) I am attempting to burn using imgburn to see if that works. Also I only have blank dvd's. Could this be a problem?

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Img burn worked great! The avira dvd is now loaded on my acer laptop. It boots up to the avira desktop, and is performing a virus scan now. I'll let you know what it says. Is this what the avira was supposed to do?

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update: Finished scanning. 0 alerts, 0 suspicious. Next move?

mbraddish

mbraddish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am going to be taking my laptop back to Staples tomorrow. I bought a service plan that covers reinstalling factory settings. I was hoping to try to recover some data, but I seem to be running out of luck. Hopefully I will catch you before then!

Thanks, again!

Mary

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :D

OK and thank you for the courtesy of informing myself. Taking your machine to a IT Repair Centre is indeed a viable solution and may just be quicker in the long run.

The below is what I was going to post to your good self and I was thinking of either a MBR repair/boot loader repair but doing such would remove your machines OEM partition capacity as I mentioned in a prior post. So what you have in mind is for the best, good luck and I sincerely hope you machine is repaired to your satisfaction.

Boot manager options have not helped. Current boot manager screen says "Windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause." Additional info: file: \windows\system32\config\system status: 0xc0000225 info: windows failed to load because the system regist. file is missing or corrupt. I will wait for your response. Thank you so very much.

You're welcome and thanks for the update.

Update: Finished scanning. 0 alerts, 0 suspicious. Next move?

Not sounding good I'm afraid, it is entirely possible the MBR(Master Boot Record)/boot sector has been corrupted/damaged and or a critical part of the registry.

For future reference I suggest you order a set of recovery CD's.

OK before we proceed any further can you inform myself exactly you have been accessing the System Recovery Options(see below):

Also prior to running Hitman Pro did you make any changes to the partitions on the installed hard-drive at all and or modify the BIOS settings?

Posted Image

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.