Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Uninstall IE7 With Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

yorozuya

yorozuya

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
So I'm at the end of my rope. I came across THIS problem. So I tried to uninstall EI7 following THESE instructions hoping that would fix my problem but no. When I entered the "batch spuninst.txt" command all I got was access denied or cannot find file or something like that. Oh, and I forgot mention that I can't login not even in safe mode, so I need to use the recovery console.

Currently I get this message when trying to login: The instruction at "0x604a29bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". Click "OK" to terminate the program. Click "Cancel" to debug the program.

I'm at a total loss.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Note The ie7 folder is a hidden folder.

That is the reason for your access denied error.
You will have to change the attributes before you can execute the command.
use the -h which removes the hidden attribute.

Changing file attributes with "attrib"
In addition to their actual content, files also have a set of properties that characterize them (sometimes called metadata.) One set of these properties are the four attributes read-only, hidden, system, and archive. The archive attribute is primarily used in backup procedures but the other three can be encountered in various contexts. These attributes can be turned on or off with the command "attrib" and its switches. The great utility of this command is that it can act on subfolders with its switch "/s" and can use the wildcard "*". For example, to clear the read-only , system, and hidden attributes from a file use attrib -r -s -h somefile

So as per my screenshot before you execute the commands to uninstall IE7 excecute the attrib -h for the folder IE7

That all said, it seems a terribly complicated way of activating windows.
It is a genuine installation I presume. If not and you are trying to get round the WVC for MGA - this forum does not help in anyway with matters of that nature.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 November 2010 - 04:38 PM.

yorozuya

yorozuya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
My problem is I can't get into my computer, I was doing a repair install and then an error prevented me from logging in. So from my under standing what I need to do is uninstall ei7 so I can activate windows just to get in, and I believe my only option is to use the recovery console to uninstall ei7.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
That is the instruction I sent you. I can only presume you did not read my post carefully
Recovery console, as you had, change the attributes of the IE7 folder.

The screenshot is to show you where the folder is and because it is shown ie7 in blue, with the uninstall above etc that confirms it is a hidden folder.

All this is actually on the MIcrosoft Link you sent in your post.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 November 2010 - 06:04 PM.