Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Taskbar & Firefox, Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've been using Windows 7 for quite a while now, and always had this problem. The thing is, it's not a big problem, and only slightly annoying if I bother to notice it. But when it comes down to it, I like to know how to control my operating system properly. I should use it, not the other way around :D

On the Taskbar I have two program shortcuts 'pinned'. These are Firefox and iTunes. The problem that I have here is that when I open Firefox, the pinned button becomes the active application. This stops me from being able to open another Firefox window, or if I have something like the downloads window, Chatzilla, or other firefox add-on open, I can't open another browser window (even if i've closed the previous one).

I thankfully have an easy way around this because I run dual monitors and have UltraMon so that I have a second taskbar. So if Firefox is open on the secondary monitor (which it usually is) I can still open more instances of the program.

But strangely, iTunes doesn't follow this behaviour. It acts the way i'd like the firefox one to - the button is just a shortcut.

I'd like to know how to make Firefox not open like this, and do what iTunes does, i'll include some pictures to make what I mean clearer:

Posted Image

The bottom taskbar being before opening firefox, and the top being after. Both images show how iTunes doesn't 'take over' the shortcut.

Cheers,
Seltox

Advertisements

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
How did you create the pinned firefox shortcut? Likewise the Itunes shortcut?

Could you enable and use the quick launch area rather than pinning, as detailed here?
Or does disabling grouping work?

Edited by Ehsanit, 16 November 2010 - 11:08 AM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I created the firefox/iTunes shortcut by simply finding them in the start menu, right clicking and hitting 'Pin to taskbar'.

I knew about making the extra toolbars (I have one for my games, and another for other programs) but I didn't think about using that to create a traditional Quick Launch :D I've don it now, and it still feels slightly odd, but that's just getting used to it I guess.

I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone knows why my Firefox and iTunes were functioning differently if anyone knows.