Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble connecting to EA servers

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I am having trouble connecting to EA servers on all of my EA games for PS3. I have no problem connecting to the Playstation Network and playing other online games such as Modern Warfare 2 and Red Dead Redemption but no luck with the EA Servers. I am assuming the problem is with my campus's network, like they might be blocking certain ports or something. Is there anything I can do to get around this or am I out of luck?

Hardware details, I am using a Linksys WRT54G router which like 2 feet from the console and I have tried using a wired connection with same results.

I have asked EA support about this but they are useless, hoping the community can do a better job which is why I'm posting this in multiple places.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yeah it may be the school network blocking the ports, but it could just be the EA servers. Could you play before and now you cant? You could try to call the school IT department with a list of ports and see if they are blocking them. This site has some good info on it http://pcgamingtips.blogspot.com/ or http://forum.ea.com/...le/2300002.page the guy that the site belongs to hangs out at the forums of the BFBC2 EA site and he is a network engineer. Very knowledgeable, and he helps people. Look for "Heycarnut".... That is of course, if none of the smart and knowledgable people here cant help. : )

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Can I find out what ports are needed for the connection to work?

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I've found out what ports are needed for one of the games to play and I opened them through my McAfee software but still no luck. And when I used a website to see what ports were open, it came back saying none were open even though I know that can't be true because the console obviously is getting through to connect me to PSN.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Go into your router and make sure Universal plug and play is on. Then shut down the router and wait about a minuet before turning it on. (How does opening ports through mcafee affect the ps3?) Try it again and see what happens.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
no luck. I tried forwarding the ports on the router page also.
http://i258.photobuc.../Untitled-8.png