Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer slowdowns

• Please log in to reply

musicfrk

musicfrk

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Whenever I am playing a video game it will run fine for a while but all of the sudden my fps will drop down to almost one for a minute or two before returning to normal. This happens every couple minutes. At first I thought this was a graphical issue but it happens with every game I have. It even happens with those that I have played with zero fps problems in the past. Also when I start my computer up it won't boot sometimes and I have to manually restart it. I checked in the malware section but apparently my computer is clean so I'm really not sure what it could be. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Edited by musicfrk, 17 November 2010 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers? If you need help finding the drivers, tell me the make and model of your graphics card.
If you do not know the make/model of your card, then click on Everest Instructions in my signature, and post the log as per the instructions.

musicfrk

musicfrk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I upgraded my drivers but it didn't seem to help any.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sorry for responding so late.
Can you give me the specs of your graphics card?
Also download Furmark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Install and run it and tell me how it fares.

How old is your computer?
Have you ever replaced the graphics card?
Can you hear the card's fan spin up when you start playing a 3D game?
Is the fan making any abnormal noises?

musicfrk

musicfrk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I'm using two Geforce 8500 GTs with sli enabled. Can you give me specifics as to what you want me to tell you about the Furmark stability test. I've never really used a tool like that before so I'm not entirely sure what information you want me to give you. My computer was custom built for me by someone else. I don't recall how long ago though. I think the oldest part may be 6 years old. The graphics card as well as multiple other parts have been replaced and upgraded but that was at least a year ago. The fans all seem to be spinning and they all sound normal.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sorry I wasn't specific with FurMark. First download and install version 1.8.2
Run the Multi-GPU version of the program, and turn on Stability Test, XTreme Burning Mode, Post FX, Log GPU Temperature, and set the screen size to 1024X768
If you want, increase the MSAA samples to 2X, but I don't think your cards can handle that much at a good FPS.
Next, click on Go, and let the program run its fur rendering. Look at the framerate count on the window, and let me know if you experience a random drop similar to what you experience when playing games.
Let me know how that runs, and then try disabling SLI. Run the single GPU version of the program with the same parameters, and look at the framerates again. How did that fare?

musicfrk

musicfrk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay I think I've found the problem. It seems that a loose wire or component was causing the fan to turn off when I wasn't looking and the card was overheating. I managed to fit it back in to place. I feel really stupid for not noticing it. The test is now running at a very steady frame rate and temperature and I'm going to try out a game or two to make sure. Thanks a ton for your help and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Excellent! I'm glad you have solved your problem. :D
I thought it either was SLI acting up, or some overheating problem. Seemed to be the latter.
If you have any more problems or questions be sure to come back to Geeks to Go! ;)