Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Won't Display

• Please log in to reply

dixieman

dixieman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Gateway PC running Windows 7 that's about 8 months old. I used it this morning, no problems.

I came home, booted up, and there is no image displayed on the monitor. I have that PC and another hooked up on a KVM switch. The other PC displays fine, so I know the monitor works. I unhooked the KVM switch and put the monitor directly on the problem PC. Still no image, so it also isn't the KVM switch.

The computer sounds like it is booting properly, but I get no image. What can I check and troubleshoot to figure out the problem?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If the monitor isn't displaying anything at all from the moment you turn on the PC, but the same monitor works fine on another PC, then it's most likely a problem with the graphics card in the Gateway PC. See if pulling out the card and reseating it fixes the problem. Also try a different signal cable from it to the monitor. If neither of these cures the problem, then it has to be the graphics card itself that's failed (by my logic anyway).

dixieman

dixieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, after reading online last night, one of the most commonly suggested things was to clear the cmos. So, I moved the jumper and cleared CMOS. When I booted up after that, I got the computer to display for the first few screens, but after that it went back to black, and when I tried to shut down and reboot, I got nothing again.

dixieman

dixieman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, so I removed the CMOS battery this time, got it to boot, and went into BIOS settings to set them/check them. The one thing that stands out is that under the "Attached Peripherals" tab, the option for integrated video is grayed out and I can't select it. It just hope right over that one, and I don't have a separate video card.

Also, after checking BIOS settings and exiting, it still won't fully boot up.

Edited by dixieman, 18 November 2010 - 07:14 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since this computer is less than 1 year old, it is likely still under warranty. You need to be dealing with Gateway tech support before you void the warranty.