Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello people...

I'm having this problem for some time and i don't know what to do.. Since a few weeks everytime i leave my pc inactive for some minutes my pc freezes. It happens when i see a movie or something and when i finish to watch it i can't close the application and nothing works, also if i just leave the pc doing nothing after a few minutes, same thing, nothing works and i have to shut it down the hard way...

I have Windowns Vista Home Premium 32bits Sp2, Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53GHz, 4GB Memory Ram..

I really want to solve this problem, coz everytime i and to see a Serie i always have to shutdown the pc every episode :S

Ty for your time be well.

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Check the power settings in control panel, set the hard drive to never turn off and set hibernation to never. I don't use vista and never have but I know many people have had similar problems with it doing the same thing. Try it and see if it works, you can go back and reset the power settings to see if it reproduces the same problem.

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've already done that and still the problem persist :S

Ty for the reply, any other ideia? :D

Edited by eSK_I3ryI3e, 17 November 2010 - 10:41 PM.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Did you try turning the screen saver off? Do you have all the latest windows updates? also, do remember installing anything like hardware, drivers, updates or software just before the problem started? Do you run any type of anti virus software? if so, have you tried to disable to see if it fixes the problem?

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I also tryed to turn off the screen saver and didn't solved the problem... About the anti-virus i use it long before the problem started happening... About the isntalling software just before the problem started i don't recall :S but i don't think i isntalled something new :S

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Are all the hardware drivers up to date?

Do you do windows update?

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My windows update says i have 2 updates to do, i'll do them and i'll get back to you.

it's almost 6am so i'll get back to you tomorrow! be well

Edited by eSK_I3ryI3e, 17 November 2010 - 11:45 PM.

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well i made the updates, nothing really important(live mensseger essencials) and i still have the problem...

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Do you do regular system maintenance? defrag the hd? Try this http://www.piriform.com/ use it to clean up your system of unneeded files. there is also a tools tab that will allow you to shut down unnecessary startup programs when you boot the pc. try disabling as many as you can and reboot. It would also be a good idea to uninstall as many programs you don't use as well. try it and post back.

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes i do regular system maintenance :D I ushually clean up system unneedeed files with registry Winner, there is also a tool there to deisable programs from reboot but i try not to touch there coz i don't want to do anything wrong :S

But i'll try that piriform now, get back to you in some mins..

Advertisements

eSK_I3ryI3e

eSK_I3ryI3e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I see that u were talking about Ccleaner. I also use that program, but it didn't helped with my problem :S i aslo unistalled some programs i don't use and nothing..

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Well you have some options, you can do a compete reformat of your hard drive and reinstall vista and see if that fixes it or..

Try checking vista log files in "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\ event viewer"
and see what errors and warnings it displays. post back

The other option is to check hardware using some testing programs I will post later.

The problem with this issue that your having could be related to anything. So all we can do is check everything step by step and see how it turns out.

There are some very advanced and knowledgeable people on this site who have probably already encountered and resolved this particular issue in the past. Unfortunately they are probably busy with other members. I will stick with you and help you as much as I can.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
rshaffer61 = advanced and knowledgeable people. : )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just thought i would offer some assistance and maybe help find the root of the issue by starting with the software and system specs. :D