Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

trid2bnrml

trid2bnrml

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Whatever it was, it seemed to me to be in my MBR. When I'd shut down the computer properly, I got a blue screen saying that the computer was shut down to avoid damage and cited the boot sector as the source of the problem. Then, instead of shutting down, it rebooted itself into windows. I ran Norton 2010, AVG, DRWeb Cureit, Avast!, McAfee, zonealarm pro and a couple of other free anti-virus applications but none found a virus or malware. I ran hijackthis, but HT found nothing in the MBR...I had to literally pull the plug when it started to reboot itself.

About 10 years ago, there was a virus that did something similar, as I recall it was in TSR or DOS?, and what had to be done was you had to pull the plug as the virus was running itself, corrupting it as you would do any other application (except this time that was the whole point). I did the same thing with this new one and, after 3 tries at trying to time the unplugging, it worked. Now I can really shut my computer down for real, and no blue screen.

Has anyone else had a similar situation, I'd love to hear an easier method of getting rid of this sort of thing. Since no anti-virus ever found a virus, I still don't even know what to call the offender, I just know it had control of my operating system for a few days. Any comments, please?

Edited by trid2bnrml, 18 November 2010 - 02:20 AM.

Advertisements