Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No MIDI sound on web site

• Please log in to reply

rletter

rletter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have several simple websites with MIDI sounds. I made these in MS Publisher.
I cannot get sounds from the websites nor from web preview of Publisher file.
I have checked IE 8 settings under tools/internet tools/advanced/mulimedia/playsounds is checked. The MIDI files on my computer play fine. I do have a website with .wav sound and it works fine. I am assuming the problem is with some setting in IE8 (the web preview in Publisher uses IE to give the preview).

This is recent problem-worked fine last month and another computer (Win2K) can access the sites with sound so the problem is with this one running Win7 and IE8.
Thanks much!
More info: Normally, the IE8 opens up as basic (I assume 32 bit) and the MIDI sounds on the websites are not heard. I opened up IE8 64 bit and everything works fine-all MIDIs etc sound OK.
The settings for both IE8 look the same.
Now my question is now: How do I change things for the basic IE8 to work. Since the Publisher file opens with the 32 then it also does not work. The basic IE 8 on my computer is described as version 8.0.7600.16385,Cipher Strenght:256 bit. The 64 bit version is listed as same version and cipher-- but 64 bit.
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This question has several possible answers.

Firstly: No matter what you do with the site, there is no guarantee that any music will play on the machines of the people who visit the site. The option can be turned off on the visitor end.
Secondly: Windows 7 seems to have issues with MIDI, in which you will need the actual driver for the sound card in the machine, as opposed to the generic driver that gets installed before you can get anywhere substantial. Again, this cannot be forced on the visitor end.

Thirdly: Lots of people don't want music on websites. They find it annoying and irritating. Just a thought.

rletter

rletter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Since this was working earlier, about 30 days, it may be one of the multiple MS upgrades to Win 7 since IE 8 doesn't work with MIDSs. I have not added any programs or applications in the past 3 months. As I mentioned, IE8 64 bit works fine.
Question: If I were to want to default to IE 8 so things would work in Publisher files-how do I do this?
Note: These simple websites are for my wife's 1958 high school bunch-they like to hear the "old" music. I have been doing this for 10 years and no one has had problems hearing the music. The stat counter I have attached, normally registers about 500 or so hits each time I put a new or updated one out. Just looked and got 770 hits on the last series. Most people have XP (or earlier) but some have upgraded to Win 7.
Oh yes, ALL files MIDIs included, play OK from this computer-just not from IE8 nor Publisher preview. I did notice when using web page preview in Publisher (IE opens) there was a slight delay which is not normal.
Thanks much!
Note:
I am retired but I do have some knowledge of computers. I record, using Adobe Premiere CS5, our church services, for a later editing and send to our ABC station for a delayed broadcast.
I have two computers at the church. The video one is has 2 XEON processers, 4TB hard drive, and six fans and runs on Win7. The computer-graphics one is a smaller unit running on XP. This keeps me busy in my retired years.
I know all about upgrades not working. I recently upgraded the Adobe Premiere from CS4 to CS5-too me many hours and phone calls to get it working correctly-it did not play nice with .mov fils. Not all upgrades are bug free.
Lewis

Edited by rletter, 21 November 2010 - 12:01 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

This is recent problem-worked fine last month ...

Try using Windows' "System Restore" to return Windows to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly.

Edited by SpywareDr, 21 November 2010 - 06:08 AM.

rletter

rletter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I "restored" using system restore to a point I thought would work. Only thing it did is wipe out updates on win and other programs but did not fix the IE8.I then restored back to a recent restore point that had these updates. Still not fixed.
Thanks

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?
http://windows.micro...ns-in-Windows-7

?