Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp3 to xp2 after slipstream installation

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
After having created a slipstream cd using xp-sp2 with the sp3 update, I would like to drop sp3 and work in an sp2 environment. Thus I don't
have a roll-back solution.

How can I create this sp2 environment without reinstalling from scratch?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Only if SP3 was added separately can you remove it later. If it's a slipstream installation you can't.
You'll only get back to SP2 by re-installing from scratch, but since SP3 incorporated a raft of updates & fixes, why would you want to get rid of it?
It improved Windows loading time as well for many users (compared to RTM & SP2 versions) - me included.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 18 November 2010 - 03:16 PM.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Because this wifi connection pb is a well known pain with sp3. I don't want to spend too much time on this so I'll pbly resort to install sp2 from scratch.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I don't want to spend too much time on this so I'll pbly resort to install sp2 from scratch.

I don't believe that phillipcorcoran meant that you can remove SP3 by just re-installing SP2.

It doesn't work that way. As stated " if slipstreamed, you need to reformat and re-load the OS".
If SP3 was installed as an addon "after" SP2 then you can uninstall it.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
So that settles it. Thank you all for your replies.