Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista makes strange sounds

• Please log in to reply

Ducon

Ducon

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey,

lately my computer started to make these strange sounds once in a while. Sound is similar as plugging in usb device. However it happens even if Im just watching a movie or surfing the net. Nothing shows on screen as far as I could see. What could be the cause?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Do you have a few usb-powered devices plugged in (eg external hard disks or wireless devices which don't use mains power)?
If yes, it's possible one or more of them are "disconnecting" (electrically, not physically) from the PC because there is insufficient power at that usb port. If the power fluctuates at the usb port, it will cause the device to repeatedly disconnect & re-connect. Again this is usually because too many usb-powered devices are demanding power & there's just not enough to feed them all constantly.

One solution (short of unplugging some of them when not required)is to buy a "mains-powered usb hub" which ensures that every port on that hub can deliver sufficient power.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 18 November 2010 - 03:41 PM.

Ducon

Ducon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just keyboard,mouse and headset are connected and they have been since beginning so I dont think thats an issue?