Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Change Screen Resolution

• Please log in to reply

ahillman

ahillman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys. I've got a Dell Latitude D520 with Windows XP. Today I received my computer back from a repair shop where they replaced my screen with one from a dead computer they had lying around because apparently it's quite expensive to buy a new screen (~$300).

Anyhow, since restarting the computer after the replacement my screen resolution is stuck on 1024x768. When I try to change the settings I go to display properties & settings, under display there are 2 monitors listed. One is listed as 'Plug & Play Monitor on Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family', the other is '(Default Monitor) on Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family'. I can select Default Monitor, but when I click ok, it just reverts back to the Plug & Play monitor. When I try to change the resolution under 'Default' there are many options, but none of them will actually change, but when I try under 'Plug & Play' I only have 2 options: 1024x768 & 800x600. I tried installing the drivers via Dell, but this hasn't changed anything.

Is there anything I can do or did they just stick me with an inferior monitor that I can't change the resolution settings of?

Many thanks in advance ^_^

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all monitors support all resolutions.
The older the monitor is the less likely it can support certain resolutions.

Windows will usually be able to query the monitor and ask it what resolutions it can do, then only present you with those resolutions. It's not a driver issue, you don't need drivers for monitors.

Also, new screens aren't *that* expensive, and if you're not happy with the price of one shop, go somewhere else and you may be able to get it cheaper. What you've been quoted is a rip-off.

ahillman

ahillman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for that reply - it's very helpful to know. I think I'm going to go back to the repair shop & ask them to sort this out because it's very frustrating & I didn't pay £80 for a "new" screen that would be so pants.