Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer doesn't connect

• Please log in to reply

ACher91

ACher91

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
All right, I don't know how or when this happened, but IE doesn't connect to the internet. Any page I try to go to with it just results in the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. I made the conversion to firefox a couple of years ago and haven't used IE since, and that's been working fine for me. A couple of months ago, I tried to open IE again, and that's when I noticed this problem. It didn't really bother me, since I prefer firefox over IE any day, but I've noticed that this causes problems with other applications as well; Windows live messenger, for example, can't connect either, nor the itunes music store, as well as other random programs I have that seem to depend on IE completely and ignore my internet connection for some stupid reason... Obviously, my internet works fine, as I am posting this message via firefox right now.

I've tried restarting in safe mode with networking, and the same thing happens; firefox still works fine, but IE doesn't... it's probably some settings that got messed up in the 'connections' tab or something.

My internet company is Clear. Here's my 'puter info and stuff:
Posted Image

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Have you considered updating IE to the latest version that XP can run, which is IE8 (unless you've already done that)? That may fix the connectivity problem at the same time:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
All right, I upgraded to IE8. Still doesn't solve the problem, though. :/

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
All right, woot! I figured it out :D

Had to mess with some lil' checkboxes under the LAN settings button.

Problem solved. ;)