Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Repair XP from boot disk.

• Please log in to reply

thegirlwithabow

thegirlwithabow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I hope I have posted this in the right place.

My computer decided to stop working yesterday, no idea why. It loads up, shows the loading screen, then flashes a blue screen for a second, restarts and it all happens again.

I have been trying to repair it using the boot disk, but when I load the disk, it goes straight to a list of the partitions, nothing about repairing at all. I've selected each partition and they say:

"Them partition is either too fuol, damaged, not formatted:" etc. I am prompted to format.

Is there anyway I can repair XP without formating? I still have important files and documents on the computer I need.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Which or what type of boot disk are you using?
If it's a Microsoft Windows CD and you want to run a repair installation, see this:
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you might be able to mount the hard drive in an external enclosure then copy off all of the important files (no executables, just documents, music, pictures, stuff like that), then you could format and reinstall. of course, the errors you're experiencing suggest that the drive itself is going/has gone bad, so you may want to concider replacement