Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hours of googling still nothing

• Please log in to reply

camjones1708

camjones1708

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I made the mistake of upgrading my HP Pavilion s7210n slimline PC to windows 7 and then realized that there weren't any sound drivers designed to work with windows 7 and that computer so i downgraded back to windows xp and I none of the drivers were able to be installed. I found everything on hp's website except the sound driver, I've tried installing microsoft's uaa bus hd audio driver and realtek's hd audio drivers and they both install and restart but no drivers are added in the audio section. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Windows update cant find them? I found this when looking for drivers. scroll down to "Original Drivers"

http://h20000.www2.h...35&swEnvOID=228

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah I've tried that one. I get no results after restarting. The only audio drivers I have are
-audio codecs
-legay audio drivers
-legacy video capture devices
-Media control devices
-video codecs
I know I need another one to get sound to work.
Oh and no windows update can't find anything for it.

Edited by camjones1708, 18 November 2010 - 08:55 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try the driver here: http://218.210.127.1...3&GetDown=false
It's a codec, but let me know if it works. Download the one for XP 32 bits.

Also try the driver here: http://rapidshare.co...46/WDM_R182.zip
If that doesn't work, you could try uninstalling the drivers already present relating to sound, and try reinstalling them.

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have already tried both of those and they give me no success.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have a problem recording audio, playing audio, or both?
Were both of those functions were working properly before you upgraded to Windows 7?

Your last resort would be to try another sound card in your computer to see if that works. If you can borrow a sound card from another friend or computer, try plugging it into your motherboard and see if its drivers load properly.

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Playing audio, I have no need for recording audio so I haven't even tried it, I assume it wouldn't work either because I don't have a driver for it. Yes audio playback worked before and again I never recorded audio so it didn't matter. I don't think the sound card is the problem and I really don't want to have to open up my computer.

Edited by camjones1708, 26 November 2010 - 08:57 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

I don't think the sound card is the problem and I really don't want to have to open up my computer.

With this statement comes the question of whether you have a separate sound card in the computer or if it is built on to the board.
If it is separate then all the drivers in the world that we throw at it won't work. We would need to get drivers for the card (not HP ones).

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah I don't know much about the hardware of the computer but we haven't ever upgraded anything and I've heard while going through other forums about this that you can't even upgrade my computer. But if your right how do I find out with drivers I need and where to get them?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
In looking at your manual, you only have 1 PCI slot which had a phone modem card in it.
Page 4 shows the 1 slot on the far right and just to the left is where sound plugs in. If the sound is plugged in to a card that is where the modem is, then you have added a sound card.

Did you install the chipset drivers located here?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like sound is onboard so a new card would have to be bought and onboard audio needs to be disabled.
Just a FYI for the future.
A good way to find out if there will be any issues with upgrading to Win7 is Win7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So are you saying that I need a new sound card for sure? The sound worked previously before upgrading so I don't know why it wouldn't be working.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Have you tried to completely uninstall your sound card device within control panel? And then reboot and see if windows recognizes it and installs the proper driver? You should post all the fixes you've already tried, that way people will avoid asking you to do something you've already attempted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So are you saying that I need a new sound card for sure? The sound worked previously before upgrading so I don't know why it wouldn't be working.

The sound worked good because you have XP and the driver is made for XP. There is no Win7 driver we can find so that means the card will not work. Without it means you have a dead sound card. The card works just not with Win7.
Your other option is to go back to XP and then the card will work again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

In looking at your manual, you only have 1 PCI slot which had a phone modem card in it.
Page 4 shows the 1 slot on the far right and just to the left is where sound plugs in. If the sound is plugged in to a card that is where the modem is, then you have added a sound card.

Did you install the chipset drivers located here?

Have you done this?