Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hours of googling still nothing

• Please log in to reply

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am on xp. I have tried the drivers from hp's website and realtek website along with all posted drivers on this forum and I'll try uninstalling it and reinstalling it and post how it goes.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure if this will do any good but you might have a look at this pinned topic HERE that deals with the HD audio problem.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have a modem card on the back of your computer? If so, you are using onboard sound, which means that your sound circuitry is on your motherboard rather than on another card.
Since this seems to be the case, I would first try rshaffer's suggestion. I have seen it work many times for realtek driver installation problems.
If it still doesn't work, maybe you could try booting with a Linux live cd and see if the operating system or a specific driver is the problem. Wait on this though, and let us know how rshaffer's solution works out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks edge2022 as I forgot to try the Linux method to test the sound itself. That will at least tell us if the sound device is working. :D

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Have you tried to completely uninstall your sound card device within control panel? And then reboot and see if windows recognizes it and installs the proper driver? You should post all the fixes you've already tried, that way people will avoid asking you to do something you've already attempted.

I don't know how to do that, I went to control panel, sound, speech, and audio devices, then sounds and audio devices, and hardware tab and i see:
LITE-ON COMBO SOHC -4836k
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Video Codecs

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm thinking I'm going to start over from the xp disc because maybe some drivers I have tried to Install are getting in the way of others that might make it work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Formatting and installing XP will allow the sound card to work since the drivers are for XP.
Before doing a OS update to Win7 please do the Win7 Upgrade Adviser first.
I am willing to bet it will tell you there are no drivers available for Win7.

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am on xp!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry my mistake. Then I would say something went wrong with the drivers.
I would say install XP and see if the sound works first.
If not then go back to post 2 and follow the link to the Original Drivers link.
Then you will find the HD audio driver which was part of the original loaded on the system.

camjones1708

camjones1708

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay thanks I'll get back to you once I try rhat

Advertisements