Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Runs Slow with all applications

• Please log in to reply

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have a 2004 Dell Desktop, (can't remember where to find the capacities and computer model) The system runs slow as in all the time, changing web pages takes a long time, opening a word document can take over 1 min to load, My laptop works fast on the wireless connection but the old desktop is really slow, I have defraged but nothing helped. Any ideas on what to load or run to look at making things work better, It is all we got now and need it to last. thanks.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
A few questions:

• What is the model number?

On older Dell's the model number was often written in the plastic right around the Power button. If it's not there, lift the cover (that has the Dell logo button on it) and there should be a sticker with the modem number etc. Most other models will have the model sticker stuck elsewhere on the computer. The model number we're looking for will be something like:

Dell Dimension 2400

• Which CPU is it running and how much RAM does it have?

In Windows XP, click the "Start" button, right-click "My Computer" then select "Properties". Under the "General" tab, down near the right corner it will list the type of CPU and the amount of RAM. For example:

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.60GHz, 3.12 GB of RAM

Oh, also, while you're in the "General" tab, what does it say under "System". For example:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

• How large is the boot partition (C: drive) and how much used and free space does it have?

In Windows XP, click the "Start" button, left-click "My Computer", right-click the "C:" drive and then select "Properties". For example:

Used space: 83,791,600,256 bytes - 77.9 GB
    Free space: 155,366,129,664 bytes - 144GB
    Capacity: 239,067,729,920 bytes - 222GB

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
What is the model number?Dell dimension 2350
Which CPU is it running and how much RAM does it have?pentium 4 cpu 2.20 GHz 2.19 GHz 512 MB of ram
Oh, also, while you're in the "General" tab, what does it say under "System". For example: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
How large is the boot partition (C: drive) and how much used and free space does it have?
used space 20,656,918,528 bytes 19.2 GB
free space: 9,324,224,512 bytes 8.68 GB
capacity: 29,981,143,040 bytes 27.9 GB

Please let me know the next step, I have an external HD that I can transfer files to if needed. I did this about 10 months ago to free up space, but it didn't do much and things have just gotten worse.
Thank you

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Please Nooooo. Not yet another aging budget Dell. :D ;)

• If that's the original 30GB hard drive from back in the early to mid 2000's, I'd replace it (ASAP).
  • I'd also bump the RAM up to the maximum of 1GB.
  • Make sure your Anti-Virus software is up-to-date.
  • Check for other updates: http://secunia.com/software_inspector/
  • Check for malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
  • Remove any unused programs. (appwiz.cpl)
  • Remove any unused startup programs and services. (msconfig.exe)
  • Run CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com
  • Defrag and reboot.
Should be a bit faster now.

Let us know ...

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I am working the steps right now, I am currently running McAfee Security, Should I remove that and install MS Security Essentials instead and not worry about a fee based security, McAfee and it's components seam to take a large part of the VM all the time.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... I am currently running McAfee Security, Should I remove that and install MS Security Essentials instead ...

I would, yes.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
McAfee is a resource hog especially on older computers.

Do not run the registry cleaner that is in CCleaner.

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I also Keep getting an error that I just found out about, (nobody tells me what is going on) it happens after lo-on at start-up (mm_tray.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The Procedure entry point ??0mccomExc@@QAE@ABV?$basic_string@DU?$...........and on for like 30 more charactors, could not be located in dynamic link library coreDll.dll, this doesn't look right to me.
I have updated everything ran cleaner, (not registry) and done a Malware scan. I'm not sure what programs to delete and what not to delete.
Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

mm_tray is a Music Match file. You can fix this by either reinstalling the application or disabling it from startup using MSCONFIG. (Start, Run, type "msconfig" & under the startup tab, uncheck mm_tray)

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
ok, so I ran all the suggested items above (I will say that it took me the better part of the day to run all this, re-run it and keep up with the installation process, have something else to do, I followed the instruction and would go off and do yard work, and then come back and check) It has worked great, my family says that a noticeable increase in speed is available. So thank you both very much it works great and anyone else it helped me.

In fact it worked so good, I wanted to do it on my old laptop so that it would run faster as well. I scanned for all the missing updates and installed them. At the end of the MS update I got the famious 'BLUE SCREEN' with the following errors, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1150 vintage 2005 Celeron CPU 2.60GHZ 512RAM
Windows XP PRO Version 2002 Service Pack 2 22,921,482,240 used 17,028,702,208 Free 39,950,184,448 capacity

A problem has been detected and window has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
A process or the read crucial to system operations has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.........

Technical Information: Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x000000003,0x82E3BC00, 0X82E3BD74, 0x805FA1F0)
Physical Memory dump complete.
Any ideas on this???

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... my family says that a noticeable increase in speed is available. So thank you both very much ...

You're more than welcome. Thanks for letting us know. :D

In fact it worked so good, I wanted to do it on my old laptop ... Dell Inspiron 1150 vintage 2005 Celeron ... 39,950,184,448 capacity
A process or the read crucial to system operations has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Hard Drive Diagnostic Tools

Hard drive diagnostic utilities are used primarily for determining the physical condition of your hard drive, (drive integrity and read/write verification). If you are having computer problems which you suspect are hard drive related, you can test it with one of the following:

If it passes the HD Diags, run CHKDSK next to ensure that the Windows file system is okay:

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Let us know what you discover ...