Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive wipe

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well, I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that thanks to your help everything has worked out fine. In fact, even the old dell is back and working great. In total, I successfully wiped 3 internal hds and 1 external hd (despite older info I'd read elsewhere about dban not working w/ external hds, it still worked). And the windows xp reinstall and reinstall of necessary drivers went very smoothly, too--actually, much easier than I'd feared. Thanks again for all the initial help that prepared me to undertake this. It's much appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for updating us and for a successful resolution to your issue.
I would like to thank you for allowing us and GTG to assist you with your issue and your patience and cooperation with the many steps we took.
Please enjoy the wealth of information here and if you need help in the future please feel free to start a new topic and we will be happy to help. ;) ;) ;) :D

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi again, since this is related I'd thought I'd just cont. the thread. I hope someone reads this soon, b/c I'm having serious issues w/ my 3rd & final computer to wipe and install xp on. (Hopefully rshaffer61 still follows this/receives emails about it.)

The sys. is a dell mini 1012 w/ no cd drive--hence part of the/my problem. I did the wipe fine. But the install of win. xp from usb memory stick is proving far beyond my capabilities. I've undertaken the following methods/softwares:

-WINTOFLASH (clearly this once comes closest to working): no end of problems with the hal.dll. And if I ignore it (as a couple of folks on forums recommend) and boot from "windows default" or go down the list until I find the "right" disk/partition combination, well then I end up w/ only more error messages once the Windows Xp os APPEARS to be up and running--like the "no disk"/"Exception Processing Message . . . Parameters . . ." error that pops up w/ just about any little system settings related click or tweak, driver install, etc. I've also tried several of the boot.ini changes recommended for the "magic" matching combination of disk/partition. AND once I get the os running and go to the my computer settings to change that boot file to match in disk/partition numbers I used earlier, well, then the sys. won't boot at all next start up, and I have to try All over again.

-the more "manual" method of creating a bootable usb drive of xp w/ tools like usb_prep & PeToUSB: I get stuck at a relatively early point here w/ "no usb disks" found in the PeToUSB tool.

-FLASHBOOT from www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/ also fails at an early point at booting w/ the usb w/ the "LBA not available" and "CHS not available" messages.

-WINDOWS7-USB-DVD-TOOL & WINDOWS 7: Willing to try anything, I even tried the official WINDOWS7-USB-DVD-TOOL w/ a clean, new, & legit .ISO file of Windows 7 that I downloaded from my wife's university, which gives her access to programs/software for free/low cost. That only led to ANOTHER impediment w/ a "The selected file is not a valid ISO file" message w/ that tool. (Which appears to be a not uncommon message for the tool and of course is total BS, b/c it is a valid ISO.)

As may be evident, I've read quite a bit & tried troubleshooting for most/all of these at various forums. Nothing is succeeding. (And the usb drive looks to check out as working fine--esp. since the wintoflash program gets so far through the process before I encounter difficulties.) Anyway, I thought I'd come back to the best and beg for help here. And, though I know everyone asks for this, some quick help would be met w/ the greatest appreciation, b/c this is my WIFE'S computer. And I am currently under her utterly scrutinizing, dubious (verging upon wrathful) eyes since I wiped but now cannot bring back her computer to full life!

Edited by moscatomg1, 02 January 2011 - 02:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition on the dell mini?
Since no media was included it is most likely already included on the hd.

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
No, that was wiped out w/ the hd wipe. . . . But everything is ok now. I decided to fork over the cash for an external cd/dvd drive. W/ that, I was able to boot from the windows xp disc, and I didn't have to worry anymore about all of this booting from usb stuff. Thanks for the quick reply though. Happy new year!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear you got everything resolved. Thanks for letting us know. ;) ;) ;) :D

samut

samut

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This problem is fixed in the latest FlashBoot version 2.1
http://prime-expert.com/flashboot/