Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet very slow

• Please log in to reply

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

I've been having problems with my internet browsers lately, it was working fine untill a couple of days ago. Whenever i'm trying to go on a link the browser seem to start loading and then never finds the page i'm looking for. Any clues on where to start with this?

Thanks.

Advertisements

desperately

desperately

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I too am having the SAME problem. I have only noticed it the past week or so. Here is my operating system info and I use INTERNET EXPLORER:

Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 1

Manufacturer: HP

Model: Compaq Presario CQ50 Notebook PC

Processor: Genuine Intel ® CPU 575 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz

Memory(RAM): 2.00 GB

System Type: 32-bit Operating System

I appologise for the vague info, but I am not sure exactly what needs to be provided. I have used this website in the past and have been EXTREMELY pleased. I had a virus and was given absolutely amazing customer support from the Geeks to Go. PLEASE HELP!!!

Themperror

Themperror

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i think i can help a bit. first it helps if you say what your provider actually gives to you as internet speed, ive got an download of 1,2 Megabytes per second and a upload of 60 kilobytes per second i think that was about 9,6 mbit\s

because if you just have a slow internet connection from the provider.. theres nothing you can really do about it except for going to an other (better) provider

it could also be that the current sites you're going to just have a very low upload speed and you could time out or something making it unable to load or just very slow

and as last..

internet explorer sucks (to my and alot of other ppl's opinion) but people just use because they think.. hmm already a browser.. thats easy and go off without thinking

now i recommend either Firefox or Chrome try those.. maybe it will go fast again

if nothing of this helped.. then i don't know :S

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello, folks, mind if I ask if you are on dial up or hi speed?

I am on dial up, and I find that IE is much faster than FF. I also think it is a matter of preference :D

Surely you are faster than my 21.6 kbps ;)

Edited by Tee*Cee, 16 January 2011 - 02:55 PM.

desperately

desperately

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am on a wireless connection. I am unsure how to check the speed. I would be happy to share of someone could walk me through how to do it.

I did a "speed test" online and found my Download speed is: 8.59 Mb/s and my upload speed was: 0.93 Mb/s.

I am unsure what all this means.

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I am on a wireless connection. I am unsure how to check the speed. I would be happy to share of someone could walk me through how to do it.

I did a "speed test" online and found my Download speed is: 8.59 Mb/s and my upload speed was: 0.93 Mb/s.

I am unsure what all this means.

Hello, sorry it took me so long to get back, but that is just about all I know, is the speed test. That I do believe, is from your Internet provider. Is this the one you used?

Speakeasy - Speed Test

That is the one I use.

When was the last time you did maintenance? I mean, clear temp Int files, History, Defrag, run disc cleanup? It might help you a TAD, maybe but is also good to do on a monthly basis. normally, will not speed up your computer , but will help get things moving a little smoother. As long as you don't have any viruses or malware. If it is just slow connection, I doubt if you can do much about that.

Has this just started, or has it always been slow? Might be good, too, to contact your Internet Service Provider. I have also heard that Comcast has been quite slow lately. Hope that helps a little. :D

I would like to know what speed you were before it slowed down, and when, I just did a speed test, and mine is a whole lot slower:

DL: 0.02 Mbps= 19 kbps ;)
UL: 0.14 Mbps =139 kbps ;)

;)
So, in theory, mine is a lot slower, but that is more due to dial up. :(

Edited by Tee*Cee, 16 January 2011 - 09:37 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Depending on the distance to your ISPs supply hub, that's a decent speed. If you're on ADSL, anyway. Of course this all depends on the distance. :D And I really would recommend trying a different browser. In my experience IE is slower than it's competitors. You might just be experiencing a 'slow' connection when all it is, is a browser not loading the pages fast (to your liking) enough.

Regards,
Olrik

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Depending on the distance to your ISPs supply hub, that's a decent speed. If you're on ADSL, anyway. Of course this all depends on the distance. ;) And I really would recommend trying a different browser. In my experience IE is slower than it's competitors. You might just be experiencing a 'slow' connection when all it is, is a browser not loading the pages fast (to your liking) enough.

Regards,
Olrik

Hi! If you are talking about mine, I am on dial up, and it comes out of Canada to Michigan, USA. Also, dial up has always been slow here. Nothing is speedy in the country! ;)

As far as page loading, I am happy that they load period!

But hey, our choice is this:

A- Dial up or
B- Nothing :D

Edited by Tee*Cee, 17 January 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Tee*Cee, I was referring to the OP :D

Regards,
Olrik

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Tee*Cee, I was referring to the OP :)

Regards,
Olrik

OK, thanks for the clarification! :D ;) ;) ;) :( :) :) :)