Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming Keyboard, or not?

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm looking for a new keyboard for my gaming machine. Well gaming/home office setup. I expect to spend a lot of time during the day writing college papers, and a lot of time during the night tearing it up on whatever FPS/ MMORPG that suits me at the time.

I was never really big on macros and scripts for open source FPS games such as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and I can hang with the best of them with my standard 104 key microsoft keyboard and 3 button mouse. But, if I'm going to burn $1500 on a whole new system, I might as well go all the way with it.

So; easy to type on for long periods of time, and something that can record macros in-game. Whatcha got?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Whatcha got?

Nothing! And in reality, you shouldn't listen to what anyone says when it comes to keyboards or a mouse. These are extensions of YOUR hands and therefore they must feel good to YOU - not me or not Joe Blow. You need to go down to your local electronics store and play touchy feeling for yourself and then decide what feels good to you. Also take note of where you will place this keyboard. If your desk has a keyboard tray, is it wide enough to hold the keyboard and allow for adequate mouse movement? Some keyboards have special buttons on the side making the keyboard 20 inches or more wide. Some keyboards have special buttons above the keys so the keyboards are deep - maybe too deep for you. Only you can decide for that. Some folks like a soft touch key, some like solid. Some a short throw, some long. Some want silence, some a solid click. Again, you have to decide.

The only advice I can really give is to get a major brand. I don't know who makes Microsoft keyboards and mice, but I know they are excellent. And Logitech is well known for quality boards. And Razer is getting notice for their game boards. Also note that money talks. If you want quality, stay away from budget boards.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ya I suppose you're right, I just need to go play with some to see what I like. I'm buying my whole system from newegg and amazon and I wanted everything to be waiting for me when I got home from my deployment. I suppose I can get it up and running with the budget board I have now and hold off on the keyboard and mouse until I get home and can get a feel for myself. Size isn't really a big issue, but I dont' see a need for a hybrid board with the "gaming" buttons on the side. the WSAD buttons will work just fine. Was just curious if anyone has any recommendations of what not to get due to quality issues and things of the sort... Thanks for the reply